Helium Loss

I've got a lot of 6061 scrap 1/2 inch thick and larger. I make a fair amount of shop parts out of the scrap. The tool racks on three of my machines are the "good" side up of lots of 1/2 inch scrap as are the shelf brackets under them. Often for a small part for my own use I'll spend 20 minutes going through my scrap to pick a piece for the job. Anyway, I've got shelves, boxes, and atleast one cart full of failed job scraps.

I would use more of it if I felt comfortable welding anything that thick.

All of it is to thick for me to be able to weld easily. The thickest aluminum I have ever welded is 3/8 and it took me several tries. Lots of preheat made it happen. From what I have read it seems I can "learn to" weld that thicker stock with a small percentage of helium in the gas mix. I probably will not do enough of it to justify buying a helium bottle and setting up a mixing rig. I was thinking maybe to buy another bottle and get some premixed. My concern is that Helium is a very small molecule. I'm consider that if I have a bottle sitting there for a couple years between projects all the helium will ooze out leaving me with a bottle of nearly pure argon. Is this a real concern?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hey Richard,

I used spool gun/mig for the 3/8 (9.5 mm nominal) I successfully welded in the past. Like I said. Lots of preheat. Would have been better if I could have had somebody hold a rosebud on it while I was welding.

12KW input would be just above the limit of my 50 amp (235V measured under load) supply circuit. I could probably do it (power not the weld) for short duration, because those breakers do not trip instantly at peak. If I recall the specs say the welder I have should be connected to a 65 amp circuit, but the factory molded plug supplied is a 50 amp plug. I have to assume they mean hardwired into a 65 amp disconnect switch. Not with the supplied plug.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Reason for mentioning Ali SMAW is that SMAW of steel is the ultimate for getting reliable fusion with small rods and currents.

Don't know if same is so for Ali. That a much smaller rod and current will achieve fusion than with any other process?

Spoolgun sounds good but can't comment. Not used. Welding 5083 with 5183 and 5356 wires, can use conventional GMAW / MIG set with "push" roller feed from the wire spool feeder, as the wire is so hard - for ali - and smooth-sliding.

Reply to
Richard Smith

FYI: I have tried three different types of aluminum brazing wire. All three inspite of claims to the contrary required the base metal to be so close to the melting point that it was crazy for 5052 and 6061 base metal. I could never do a "tack" and repair because the tacks would always melt. I did succeed in doing some very simple jobs with it where I could just get everything crazy hot and gob it on everywhere it was needed, but I also melted out base metal trying a few times. I wonder if you could use the stuff for TIG brazing aluminum, but since he temp is so close might as well use good TIG wire. When it works its pretty strong, but its not as easy as the guys in the shill videos show it to be.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
[snip]

No idea whatsoever whether this would work, but it might be worth a call to a local SCUBA shop.

They'll have helium containers, and who knows, might be willing to rent one at reasonable cost.

Reply to
danny burstein

Not a bad idea, but there is a welding shop much closer I have a good relationship with. I don't mind springing for a bottle, but I don't want to not use it for a couple years and find it empty of helium when I need it.

There once was a dive shop here, but they now just operate out of their house filling SCUBA and SCBA air bottles. Mostly for paintball and PCP gunners. I have my own high pressure pump for airgun bottles, so I've never been over there. I also think they have a day job and its just an extra on evenings and weekends for them.

Gas is pretty much gas no matter the source. When I was growing up there was a guy lived not far from use (60 miles from town) who had bad emphasema. More than once he sucked on one of my dad's welding bottles while he was waiting on a refill for his medical bottle.

Reply to
Bob La Londe