high carbon steel to 309SL stainless

Can anyone tell me the correct procedure for joining high-carbon steel to stainless. it will be a T-Joint as well as a lap joint in 5G. If anyone can tell me, I would be in your debt. Thanx

Reply to
J & K Cranston

J & K,

My layman advice would be to use 309L. I have seen it in TIG and Stick, possibly even in MIG. I personally prefer TIG for the control it gives, but that's just me.

Regards, Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

Me, personally? I'd use b - o - l - t - s ..

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

My preference it for aerospace alloys like Hastelloy W or Inconel 625 for joining dissimilar metals, but 309L is pretty good for this too.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Powder welding is ideal for this type of job, as well as for things like cast iron repairs. Sadly no one on this group seems to be familiar with the process, and I have little more than a good understanding of the basics.

Ken

Everything I have read concerning powder welding makes it look like another term for thermal spray coating or flame spraying. These aren't techniques used for sticking things together. Thermal spray coatings are usually porous as well.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

How True!

Reply to
Potblak

I wonder have you actually done any powder welding, or seen it being carried out?

It is known as a "Microfusion" process, and equipment and powder is manufactured by Eutectic.............it seems very strange that there seems to be such scant knowledge of this, as it works a great deal better than many other processes, especially for problematic repair jobs.

Ken