How to tell Nickel 99 from Nickel 55

I have made an acquisition today from a local company.

- Gorton Mastermil milling machine

- One pallet of welding rod

- Three Troyke rotary tables 21 inch or so.

On the pallet of welding rod, there is an opened 50 pound container without marking. It is clear to me that this is nickel rod, because of a typical dark color.

The rod is magnetic.

My question is, what kind of home test can I perform to see if this is

55 nickel or 99 nickel.

I think that it is 55 nickel, personally. (like "nomacast")

Ignoramus27828

Not marked on the rods ?

Both look the same. Ugh.

Likely has to do with at what temp does one change magnetism. Something simple like that. Or melting temp.

Get specifics of each rod and compare to spot a difference. Test for difference.

I like the rod for cast iron and even SS.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

As I understand it, 99 is softer and easier to machine than 55. Try to file the end, and if it files easily, it is more likely to be 99. If still not sure, buy a known sample (some hardware stores have 5-packs of nickel rods) and compare.

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

There are differences in ductility and hardness owing to the differing compositions but I doubt there's any way w/o an actual test rig to determine the one over another at least w/o known samples for comparison, not just a given single unknown sample.

If one were _extremely_ familiar w/ the two, one could probably tell by burning one from the characteristics, but that person would not be me... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

rangerssuck