Lincoln Power MIG model comparison

Still researching big single phase MIG welders with the intention of setting it up for heavy aluminum. Went to my local dealer and was pleasantly surprised to find they are near the bottom of the price range(s) I had found with online dealers.

More than I want to speed, but still finding very few bargains used, and none close enough to drive over for a quick look. Brand new with a three year warranty is starting to look good.

The two models we discussed were the Power MIG 216 and the Power MIG 255XT. The

216 appears to be a newer version of one at my previous employer with the addition of a built in 'Coil Claw'. I know this size machine will (just barely) work, however the spec sheet shows 1/4" as the max limit with aluminum. The more expensive 255XT is rated to 1/2" so it should exceed my needs.

Any insight on ruggedness of the 255XT with its digital display? And presumably more electronics than the 216... Resell values of either if I decide to bail (or upgrade!) in the future?

Reply to
William Bagwell

Thanks, exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Reply to
William Bagwell

I had this happen to a Miller Deltaweld 452. We kept it for shop use, for my driver/rigger/all around handy guy who prefers MIG. The welder has intermittent readout weirdness. Displays ERR, 000, and sometimes it is correct.

Ignoramus6827

Greetings William, Though I can't comment on the machines described above as to the quality I can say you should get a machine that will be able to make welds larger than you need right now. Every machine I have bought has eventually been pressed to do work that was beyond the advertised capabilities of the machine. So getting one that will do more than you need now will almost certainly be used later for a bigger project. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Unless I find a very good bargain close or a half way decent bargain on a multy process machine soon I'm going with a new 255XT on my next week day off.

10 hour days and they /claim/ they are trying to trim over time... Bound to have a week day off soon right? :)

Thanks all!

Reply to
William Bagwell