how to use a finger control?

Hi guys,

I bought a Miller Dynasty 200DX w/ the finger control. I wired it up and tried to use it last weekend and boy do I need a lot more practice :) Anyway, I was wondering how someone uses the finger control effectively? I thought it would be easier so I specified that when I ordered it, but it seems that when you want to stop welding and yet continue to have the shielding gas in place, you're sitting there fumbling with the finger control to shut it off. Meanwhile, the arc is still there heating the object you're working on...

Also, my goal is to repair an aluminum muffler for an RC helicopter so the material is thin. I practiced on a soda can and just blew holes through the thin areas. No matter what peak amp setting I set, it would draw more as indicated by the control panel. Any quick hints on some base settings to start with?

TIA

Reply to
chester_p_wong

I don't have a 200dx but with my machine i can lay a bead on .008 though alum printer plate with 1/16 tungsten tapered and balled, small freq. 100-150 Balance around 50/50 amps 12-15 (1 amp per thou of material thickness plus a few) filler .045-.062 4043 (flows easier than 5356) hi freq. on / hot start off lay the filler down on the work and start the arc on top of it, once you have a puddle established keep moving and just let the filler flow in (no dipping)just gently wash the torch back and forth between the filler and the work This works for me you might have to tweak it some By the way the side of a beer can is only 3-5 thou. thick even less by the time you clean off the paint. practice on the bottom first it's thicker Dave

Reply to
Dave P.

Reply to
lens

pointed "pencil-like" tungtens on AC will/can make the point fall off into the puddle. point it, then flatten the "point" a tad.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

This an inverter based machine though so the rules are different

Reply to
cl