fixing chromed brass

Hey,

I've got a buddy who wants me to fix a snare drum (rim ?) part. It's the metal band that holds the head and has tabs where bolts are used to tune the drum. He has one that is cracking around the bolt hole on one of the tabs because the kid he bought the drum from tightened it a little too much :) This rim looks like it's brass with chrome or a nickel plating but I don't know for sure. I was thinking of drilling to stop the cracks, but then what? He wants to keep as much of the plating as he can, but ultimately he wants it to be used again, cosmetics are secondary. I was thinking of brazing it, any ideas? What type of filler should I use?

Thanks, Eide

Reply to
Eide

Snare rims are easily available and aren't worth fixing. If he's got money he should just buy the part from the manufacturer (all drum makers sell parts) and if he's hurting for money (what musicians aren't?) he should just buy All-Parts.

GWE

Eide wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Old Ludwigs were exactly that ... COB Chrome Over brass

how big a crack at the lug?

Reply to
Brent Philion

Grant I'll Put money on the fact that its vintage and replacements arent available anymore

that and the part to be replaced is the most expensive peice of the drum

Grant Erw> Snare rims are easily available and aren't worth fixing. If he's got

Reply to
Brent Philion

Reply to
Eide

Yep, it is vintage. And, this guy is way into his drums. He's got a few hundred different ones (plays most of them). I can't tell the difference between them all, but this one is special. Probably not special enough to send it out to get fixed - mind you he's a musician :) - but special enough that he wants to get it fixed so he can play it. I don't try to understand, I'm just trying to find a way to fix his problem.

Reply to
Eide

Since its currently useless you cant make it worse.

warning 1 is the sound has been changed warning 2 is welding wont necessarily make it sound Ok again warning 3 the welding/ brazing will not restore the drum to the same mechanical strength t had as a casting

Recommendation 1 Try to find a replacement for the rim/hoop assembly (Yamaha wood hoops are meant to be upgrades but if the original look is wanted they dont meet that criteria)

Recommendation 2 Try brazing with silver solder or reflowing the crack with tig by walking a weld puddle over the crack

Reply to
Brent Philion

Yeah, I know all of that, so does my buddy - he just wants me to try. Thanks for the recommendations.

Eide

Reply to
Eide

Can you do me a favor

post how it turns out including the drummer opinion, just in sase its deceptvely good and i can brind a few really chep slightly beat up snares back form the dead too

Reply to
Brent Philion

Sounds good, I'll do that!

Eide