Which Brazing Filler

need to use my TIG to Braze fill 304 ss to mild steel. my local shop told me that the silver rods would work (they say Harris 1.5 on them). i'm not 100% that silver rod is what i should be using. this is a turbo header for a vehicle. the braze fill is there to add some support, not to seal the tube to the header flange.

any suggestions?

Reply to
Kryptoknight

The only TIG brazing I'm aware of uses silicon bronze filler rod, trade name Everdur. Please let me know if you find something different.

Reply to
Ipeak

weld on one side only, braze on other.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Reply to
Brent Philion

Silicon Bronze (everdur), Nickel bronze (monel, copper/nickel), aluminum bronze (ampco), tin bronze, phospor bronze, sil-phos bronze, and manganese bronze can all be used as TIG brazing filler. Aluminum bronze is usually only used on aluminum bronze base metal but it can also be used to repair iron gear teeth due to it's high hardness and durability. Phosphor bronze and sil-phos bronze should never be used on any iron alloy do to phosphorus cracking.

Stay way from low fuming bronze since it has zinc in it that will burn out in the heat of the TIG arc.

Manganese bronze is very strong, and is often used on steam pipes, but is expensive and hard to find.

Silicon bronze and nickel bronze are both good choices. The nickel bronze can take a little more heat and tends to be a bit stronger, but doesn't flow as nicely as silicon bronze.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

carefull picking your alloy consider your operating temp. turbos run (depending on vehicle) 1200 - 1300 degrees and I've seen them get red hot (not good), most silver alloys melt by 1500 Dave

Reply to
Dave P.