Tig-brazing white alloy filler quest - will this work?

Filler Metal name: Braze 655
Typical Applications: For brazing Invar, Kovar and similar alloys to
copper in vacuum tubes; as jet engine rubbing seals.
Solidus: 1385'F/750'C
Liquidus: 1560'F/850'C
Max. Recom. Brazing Temp. 'F: 1700
Nominal Composition,%: 65Ag 28Cu 5Mn 2Ni
Joint Color as Brazed: White
Density Troy oz/cu in: 5.20
Electrical Characteristics
* Conduct. % IACS: 12.8
*
Resistivity microhm-cm: 13.4
I know from reading Ernie's posts Silicon Bronze is recommended (not
the low fuming kind)
Reply to
treebeard
(tig-brazing stainless steel 316L , would the following filler work?) (forgot to say what I would be brazing)
Reply to
treebeard
Why not use 316L SS wire as filler ?
Martin
Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot
Filler
Interesting stuff. Might be worth trying
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Thanks for the feedback. If I learn to tig braze-weld and ever try the braze 655, I'll post the results here. If I decide to learn tig welding and braze-welding, it'll long after the summer is over. Good wishes to all!
Reply to
treebeard
If you do a google group search on tig braze-welding, you'll find the details. TIG-Braze Welding - Chapter 3 would be a good thing to search for (sci.engr.joining.welding newsgroup), but there are a lot of messages about tig braze-welding.
Using 316L ss wire as filler would be regular welding, and the base metal would melt or be distorted.
Using the silicon bronze, which has a lower liquidus point, the base 316L ss would not be melted or heat distorted very much, depending on the amount of heat applied. The result would be a "braze weld" or whatever you want to call it - I don't want to get in semantics argument.
316L physical properties: Physical Data
Electrical Resistivity (microhm-cm (at 68 Deg F)) 444
Melting Point (Deg F) 2550
Modulus of Elasticity Tension 28
For what I plan to do, considering my non-skill level, brazing with oxy-acet and the Meco torch and the appropriate filler is a probaly the way for me to go, from what I've learned from the folks in this newsgroup. But, tig has been mentioned as a good alternative and....so I've been reading.
Reply to
treebeard
Oh! I just remembered something I did a while ago. I needed to stick a bunch of nickels (25% Ni, 75% Cu) together, with a similar metal. Not brass. So I grabbed a length of copper wire and some gouging rods (for carbon arc) and non-TIG-braze-welded them together. Doesn't work that bad, just needs some control over oxidation.
Tim
-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams