acetylene tank filler quest

Any idea where I can get a chunk of the material that is inside a typical acetylene tank? It's for class demonstration.

thanks

Ben

Reply to
ben carter

Inside an acetylene tank?

I think the important part is the acetone; the filler material must be able to wick acetone to give you lots of surface area to absorb and let off gas, but there's probably a variety of materials with a variety of advantages. For a demo you might be able to use cotton balls soaked in acetone (depending on the demo you want to give).

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I always heard the filler was more like concrete.

I also suggest cutting up an old acetylene tank. Really old, that is.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I am not sure of the spelling but I believe the main ingredient is dichotomous earth. It should be available at just about any chemical supply house. IIRC, dichotomous earth is the calcified skeletons of microscopic creatures such as plankton, sponges, etc from ancient seas. It is used because it is will absorb acetylene and acetone into the microscopic spaces. Acetylene that is free (not contained) will self ignite, (from molecular motion) at about 30+ psi. Acetylene will not stay mixed with acetone so that is why it must be absorbed in a porous material.

Or something like that, Its been many, many years since I sleep through my college chemistry class's.

Reply to
Diamond Jim

Well after several books I was able too find the following info.

Filler materials Description

1) Charcoal Monolithic Filler 2) Calcium Silicate 3) Monolithic Filler 4) Balsa Wood

Hope some of this is useful

John Noon

Reply to
John Noon

Did diatomaceous earth cross your mind, but not your fingers?

Reply to
Eric Cole

A safer lab demo - is not with acetylene but with 100% alcohol and water. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Tim Wescott wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Might talk to a gas supplier - welding supplier - might have a tank out of spec and have it safe...

Grant Erw>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I like the idea of this dichotomous earth. For sure diatomaceous earth is useful as a wick for immoblising the solvent in acetylene cylinders (and is used to immobilise nitroglycerine in "dynamite") - but this dichotomous earth sounds interesting.

dichotomy noun [C usually singular] FORMAL a difference between two completely opposite ideas or things: There is often a dichotomy between what politicians say and what they do.

Diatoms are small organisms.

from "Diatom Home Page" at

"Diatoms are unicellular algae generally placed in the family Bacillariophyceae. The cell walls of these organisms are made of silica, and the varied shapes and beautiful ornamentation of these walls made the study of the diatoms and related siliceous organisms a favored pursuit of the microscopical pioneers. The cell wall is also one of the major reasons why these algae are today a favorite tool of modern ecological and evolutionary researchers, because the fossils are often well preserved in lake and marine systems."

So there you have it - with cell walls made of silica, when they come to the end of their diatomaceous thing, you are left with little "silica shells".

Richard Smith

"Eric Cole" writes:

Reply to
Richard Smith

Beside oil..the only thing my local is notable for..is the two kitty litter mines just outside of town.

Both Golden Cat and Johnny Cat have their mines and plants here.

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

Rockwool roof insulation is very similar to one of the materials used these days.

I'm surprised diatomaceous earth has been used in any cylinders since the war!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'd say check with NCG (National Cylinder Gas) or another manufacturer near you. They should have plenty of material.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger