Acetylene Tank-Can it be cut open?

I bought an Acetylene Tank, that had been in a fire and discarded at
scrap metal dealer. Took it home and removed the valve, the tank was
"empty". The neck of the tank had a small wire mesh strainer with the
rest of the tank filled with a "concrete like" susbstance. There is an
odour of what seems to be Acetone. The valve is off and two small bolts
in the bottom of the tank have been removed.
Question: Is there any safe way, that this tank can be cut into two
pieces?
Many Thanks for your advise!!!!
Reply to
peoplespontiac
That concrete like substance is balsa wood or something similar, the tank originally being filled with acetone, the acetylene being dissolved in the liquid. There should be no broblem in cutting the tank, if you want to be very safe, use an air chisel. These tanks are quite thin. As always, the advice you get is worth as much as you you have paid.
Reply to
RJ
The small "bolts" on the bottom were likely the fusible pugs that melted out in the fire. I'd fill it with water as much as possible then cut it with a cutting disc on an angle grinder. The water would push any trace amounts of acetone vapour out and keep oxygen out of the tank. The filler inside the tank could be Fullers Earth or some other clay like inert material. The water will dribble out as you make your cut. Position the tank and your cut to leave the maximum amount of water in as you proceed. I have used this method with propane tanks. An ideal method would be to put it on a large shop bandsaw. I am sure the scrap dealer was happy to see you take that item away. Randy
I bought an Acetylene Tank, that had been in a fire and discarded at scrap metal dealer. Took it home and removed the valve, the tank was "empty". The neck of the tank had a small wire mesh strainer with the rest of the tank filled with a "concrete like" susbstance. There is an odour of what seems to be Acetone. The valve is off and two small bolts in the bottom of the tank have been removed.
Question: Is there any safe way, that this tank can be cut into two pieces?
Many Thanks for your advise!!!!
Reply to
R. Zimmerman
Thanks too both posters your advise was very helpful. The tank was successfully cut...your suggestions were greatly appreciated.
Dave
R. Zimmerman wrote:
Reply to
peoplespontiac