Air Propane - what can be done with it ?

I still have an old set of Harris Oxy-Acetylene torches and cylinders. Don't YELL at me, they're legal - though havn't been filled in 15+ years and my ownership certs are probably yellowed beyond recognition IF they still exist. I'll probably try getting the big ole tanks hydro'd, though without papers they're likely to get snatched. That's probably OK as long as they snatch them BEFORE I pay for the hydros (-:

Anyway, I vaguely remember that the Acety regulator also fits a propane tank and that there is some limited use with compressed air. Is this just for brazing or hard soldering ? I'm on the edge of getting a MIG rig, just thinking through what residual value there might be in the torch set, pre-heating, cutting, etc.

Reply to
Reg_B

First, get the regulators and torch rebuilt - 15 years of sitting around is not going to have been good for them.

Air/propane should be fine for heating/brazing, and I'm reasonably sure that someone posted recently that it was also a common scrapyard cutting setup - the cut would be crude (.vs. oxy-propane), but that might be fine, depending.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Thanks for the tip/reminder on that. I probably DO know better, but I used them a few weeks ago )-: There might be 150 psi in the O2 tank, its getting DOWN there.

Crude or "severance" quality is probably ok for >90% of what I'm likely to do with this rig. This isn't for any kind of production, so filing/grinding to clean up edges would be tolerable.

I'm also wondering if I could do aluminum with compressed air/propane ? I know I used to blow right through it with oxy/aetylene, too damned HOT ! (and I wasn't very good at it either).

Reply to
Reg_B