tank expertise plz!

I am looking to make a few "decorative bells" for the fam for Christmas. What they use for these are old tanks, they look much like old acetylene tanks cut off. Idealy they are in the area of 10" in diameter and have a relatively thick wall. 3/16"or so. I've used an old steel dive tank, but the diameter was only about 7" and affects the sound quality. Does any one know about what size tank that would be, and am I barking up the right tree to begin with? Old is relative both to cost and also would be a neat way to recycle something that can't pass certification. Thanks in advance, Signed, M Stick Welder

Reply to
encat

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Use anything BUT acetylene tanks. They are packed with a porous filler, and soaked with acetone (I think.) You don't want to deal with that. I went to my welding supply and tried to get a tank that had failed retest, so I could cut it off for a bell. They gave me a tank that was due for retest--they were overstocked and didn't mind "losing" one. Evidently they rarely fail, so you may have trouble finding one that's really scrap. You ought to be able to make two bells out of one oxygen tank if you cut it somewhere near the middle. What a set of wind chimes you could make!

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Those are usually old oxygen tanks. I've seen a bunch of bells, and that's what they all were anyway. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

You guys are GREAT! Thanks so much, Vic

Reply to
encat

Christmas.

acetylene

Find a fire department with a bunch of the OLD steel air pack tanks. I have a few of them from my department that I'm turning into small BBQ grills.

Reply to
Steve W.

Windchimes for a cat 5 hurricane?

Reply to
Diamond Jim

Haven't you ever heard of "belling the cat" will make us all safe from hurricanes cause we can hear em comming LOL

Reply to
sleykin

Haven't you ever heard of "belling the cat" will make us all safe from hurricanes cause we can hear em comming LOL

Reply to
sleykin

"Leo Lichtman" wrote: Use anything BUT acetylene tanks. They are packed with a porous filler, and soaked with acetone (I think.) You don't want to deal with that. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I take i all back. Get in touch with Ben Carter, who just posted that he is looking for some of that material.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

My wind chines for a Cat 1 that came by here were a tuned set of 6' size -

1" diameter. Nice low tones. The short one out front - high pitch - was to much. We took down the big one before it got here. Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Diam>>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn