How to weld Protactinium?

My uncle gave me about 10 pounds of a useless metal called Protactinium.Can I weld it to create something useful or should I throw it away ?

Reply to
Ernest Nafkin

It melts at a slightly higher temp than aluminum. Why don't you make a Gingery lathe with it. Just don't tell the neighbors that you are spewing out alpha particulate all over the neighborhood.

(Feed troll at your own risk....)

Reply to
Aaron Kushner

Have you tried Kryptonite?

Reply to
SteveB

That is an heirloom. Keep it under your pillow to pass on to your kids.

Protactinium 91 Pa

231.03588(2)

The essentials Name: protactinium Symbol: Pa Atomic number: 91 Atomic weight: 231.03588 (2) CAS Registry ID: 7440-13-3 Group number: Group name: Actinoid Period number: 7 (actinoid) Block: f-block

Description Here is a brief description of protactinium.

Standard state: solid at 298 K Colour: silvery metallic Classification: Metallic

Protactinium has a bright metallic lustre which it retains for some time in air. The element is superconductive below 1.4 K. The element is a dangerous toxic material and requires precautions similar to those used when handling plutonium. Protactinium is one of the rarest and most expensive naturally occurring elements. The element is an a-emitter and is a radiological hazard similar to polonium. Protactinium is a highly toxic and radioactive rare earth metal that requires special handling. It is found in pitchblende and ores form Zaire and is one of the rarest and most expensive naturally occurring elements.

Reply to
Zorro

yeah, it makes a great measuring device. If you cut a circle out of it, pieces stick to it in perfect degrees.

Oh, I thought you meant Protractorinum. My bad.

Reply to
Rich Jones

This just appeared in rec.crafts.metalworking:

Troll.

Reply to
SteveB

I once had someone give me some unobtanium, however I couldn't find any filler that would work..

Richard

Reply to
AMW

We made our own filler rod for welding unobtanium from material smelted from a Leverite deposit on our property.

Carla

Reply to
Carla Fong

What is your uncle's name? My uncle gave me about 10 pounds of scrotium but he used to work in a factory that made artificial testicles. I sat it in a corner with the sonofabitchium .

If you are in the know see if you can find out anything about whatthehellium?

Anyways, cut the Protactinium into small cubes and use then as key fobs or melt it down and make eyeglass frames. You wont need either for long.

Thor

Reply to
Thor

BE VERY VERY CAREFULL. This stuff has a very short half life and quickly decays into Bullonium. And thats not a good ting.

Scott.

Reply to
plasticguy

To work with protactinium you'll need this special set of tools:

I'm not sure if they still make it though (due to some non-sense EPA or NRC regulations of some sort). Check on Ebay.

Artemia Salina