I know better

Goes on to illustrate the saying, that all weldors eventually become great dancers.

Ignoramus10246

Welding yesterday. Jeans with a fray on them.

Hmmmmmm. I smell smoke. Crap, it's me! Slap, slap, stomp, stomp.

Seems like I'd learn by now. Nothing smells like burning cotton.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Reply to
RoyJ

I don't wear anything but steel toed Red Wing Wellingtons when I weld. With the Levi 507 boot cut jeans. A nice combo. Wrangler khaki western shirt. Still do have spot scars inside my forearms and in the crease where a BB came in, and I just kept going, not wanting to blow the x ray.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Did you finish the weld before you jumped?

Reply to
waynesbane

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Did you finish the weld before you jumped?

Not on home MIG projects. I've endured a couple of burners on x ray welds. But never set my jeans on fire at work, because I would never wear frays because the safety man would just tell you to go home and change.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

In 1972, one of the welders would come to work on the barge with a couple of dozen hats. His wife and MIL and female relatives would make them out of cotton fabric scraps. They sold like hotcakes. It later became Comeaux welding hats. I don't buy anything but, and the wilder the better. My favorite is the red one with white spots. Next favorite are American flag designs. Anything other than a cotton brim that pushes on my temples gives me a headache.

And take it over and soak it with ice water. Let that cold water run down your back. It cools you off for about half an hour. Although when you first put it on it just about makes you pee yourself. COLD!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Fair enough, but picture the look on the instructors face when a student showed up for welding class...

In nylon overalls.

Reply to
waynesbane

Reminds me of a blacksmith demo I attended. The demonstrator's trouser leg caught fire from some dropped scale. When people in the audience yelled at him about it he replied: "OK, OK! Put me out. I'm busy here."

Reply to
John Husvar

Fortunately, pretty much all my home shop welding is TIG so I don't have hot splatter :)

I do have some clothes that are ventilated due to plasma cutting splatter though.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yeah, but sometimes the problems come from other people. I used tt tig alloy fuel tanks, we were required to wear white woven cotton gloves so as to not mark the alloy with fingerprints. Went to the store to get a pair of gloves one morning only to find that the purchasing officer had decided that he could save money buying woven nylon gloves at a fraction of the cost of cotton.

Then again he was the same git that told management they could save a packet if we swept up all the rod stubs at the end of the day and welded them together end to end.

Reply to
waynesbane

I quitely explained to a lady at college who had turn-ups in her jeans "If you work on site like that, you'll end up with the nick-name Hotlips - and that won't be reference to the ones you kiss with".

RS

Reply to
Richard Smith

And then what she said?

Ignoramus14738

I can't remember. Therefore - she must have registered it as a well-meant serious comment.

RS.

Reply to
Richard Smith