How come your shop smells so funny? Part II

Some of you may remember the last time I asked this question.

I ended up crushing cedar cuttings in the hydraulic press and my shop smelled like a cedar forest for a couple of days.

Although it was rather nice, nothing much came of the experiment.

I used some of the oil mixed with alcohol to clean out the drawer where I kept my underwear. The drawer smells better now and so does the underwear that I keep in the drawer.

Another one of life's small problem solved! :-)

Couple months later I came upon about two gallons of orchid oil. Don't ask!

So I scratch my head, and other parts, and wonder what in TAR-NAY-SHUN a mechanical guy like me should do with orchid oil.

Well after a LOT of hesitation I finally opened up the barrel and decanted some of the oil into one of those small alcohol burners.

And you know what? It doesn't smell bad at all!

I even tried putting a match to it. Burns it does. But the burning doesn't do much to enhance the smell.

However, after you douse the flame, the smell is much more intense.

I suppose it's just because when you heat it you speed up evaporation.

Anyway, for the time being, whenever I want my shop to smell funny, I just take the top off the alcohol burner and within a few minutes ...

Humm...

Now I'm just waiting for all those young women to come by and tell me that my shop smells so... NICE! :-)ooooooo

DOC

Buy my junk!

DOC

I told you i put pine-sol in the cutting oil

Reply to
HaroldA102

lookfantastic.com has it at $45 an ounce. Math must be off , I get $11,520 and your burning it in the shop ?

Reply to
Sunworshipper

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 01:46:45 -0500, "DOC" calmly ranted:

I solved that problem by washing all my undies first, before putting them away, Doc.

Ouch!

Get your lady (or someone else) to give you a nice massage with it.

-snip-

Um, why was it, again, that you -wished- your shop to smell "funny"?

So you're trolling for trollops, are ya? Have one of THEM give you a massage.

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

orchid oil is dormant oil.... In a condition of biological rest or inactivity characterized by cessation of growth or development and the suspension of many metabolic processes... Its to keep buds form budding to soon...and to smother bad bugs...

Reply to
kbeitz

And maybe some nice curtains and flower arrangements to go with it?

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

Ive started putting champhor oil in the drawers of my metrology equipment. Now my whole shop smells like liniment.

(it prevents rust quite well. Available at your local ethnic Indian market)

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where." Scipio

Reply to
Gunner

The nice man at Charabot (the company that makes this stuff in France) told me not to use it on the skin. I gather it's too concentrated.

I know there's a reason around here someplace. I just can't seem to find it! :-)

I don't think there be any on this NG!

DOC

Reply to
DOC

I do that too but use blocks instead. Put the stuff in small plastic bags with small holes cut out.

That way you can control the sublimation. DOC

Reply to
DOC

Nice to know I got such a high class joint! :-)ooooooo

I don't think that this stuff is really cheap, but the $45.00 price prolly includes a cut glass bottle and at least 80% worth of marketing hype.

And my cost is close enough to zero so that it doesn't much matter what I do with it.

Humm......

Maybe I should sell the stuff to lookfantastic. Then they could change their name to smellfantastic! :-)

DOC

"Open the pod bay doors, HAL!"

Reply to
DOC

I use an eye dropper and some small bits of felt. Ill look for the blocks and try those.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Get some cheap but ornate small bud vases, some rubber stoppers and an ebay account. You will be a rich man in short order

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Have you been to the site? IIRC they sell it in cheapy plastic bottles where in one would put their finger over the top and tip it over for a second and apply to the wrinkles.

I'd look into it. 256 bottles and a scaled eye dropper thingy can't cost more than $50. How long could it possibly take to fill 250 of them... Then sell them on Ebay for $20.

Easy $5,000 ! Got me... I just looked it up cause I think orchids are expensive little alone getting the oil from them. Really the first thing that came to mind was an Architectural Digest article showing e john's NY condo and they where everywhere , even pictures of them IIRC.

Trade for a $2,500 BP and get some pine stuff or bleach.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

I think Miss Jamie and Mike must have eloped, and extended their honeymoon. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Last I heard from Mike he had "moved on" to digital photography leaving both RCM and Miss Jamie to find their own greener pastures!

:-)oooo

DOC

Reply to
DOC