Rusting hand tools

Hi all, I have a large number of hand tools.Like every type of plier known to mankind. I don't use all of them everyday so they have to sit in a draw in my upright tool box.

Because of my proximity to the ocean I have a problem with tools that are not used very often rusting. I have heard of pads that are put in tool cabinet draws to prevent rusting. For the life of me I can't find them anywhere.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Or does anyone know something that I can do to prevent the rusting of my tools? I do a lot of hand forging of gold and platinum, I keep many of my hammers with a mirror finish. To get them that way is a lot of work and I do not want any pitting from the rusting.

Thanks for all your help. Billy V

Reply to
Billy V

I have found that a industrial product called Slide Products

has a dry rust preventing spay that really works. Check out their web page for a dist. near you. Usual disclaimer. Don Warner in highly humid FL

Reply to
Donald

You appear to be asking about VCI paper (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor). There are a number of suppliers of varying formulations. Do a google search on "VCI paper" and you'll turn up a bunch of them. Plain old camphor works to a degree.

But better protection can be obtained by directly applying a corrosion inhibitor to the metal. Cosmolene has been a traditional favorite. But LPS-3 is commonly recommended by metalworkers. It dries to a very thin waxy coating which isn't sticky. It cleans off easily too, if you need to remove it.

Another option you might consider is to heat your toolbox slightly above ambient. If metal is slightly warmer than the air around it, moisture won't condense out onto the metal surfaces and cause corrosion to start. You can use a rod type electric heating element, heat tape, or even a light bulb inside the box. It doesn't take much heat to prevent condensation. This is the approach I take down here in the humid South for metal items kept indoors. For stuff that's outdoors, I use LPS-3.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Reply to
GeoffH

Im told that common camphor also works well in tool boxes.

Gunner

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Reply to
Gunner

I keep a light coat of oil on mine... zero rust at all in over 35 (gasp) years now. It doesn't take much, a very light film is all thats necessary. I just use engine oil, and wipe them down after every use. Don't use brake fluid or household vegetable based oils like that 3 in whatever the hell it is stuff... brake fluid will make the rust even worse, and the veg stuff will leave them a loathsome gummed up mess.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

A simple help is a light bulb below the tool box, so that the heat from the lamp keeps everything just slightly warm.

Take care.

Brian Laws>

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Place a few blocks in you tool box . They cured my rust problem

Reply to
TLKALLAM8

You might give a dehumidifier some consideration. We run one year 'round here in Western Washington, and it's a great idea. No rusting of machine tools, a marked difference from when we lived in a much dryer environment.

Sears sells small units in the $200 range. As I recall, they are made by Whirlpool. No, I am not affiliated with either of them. I'm just happy with the product.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Hi, I want to thank all of you to responding to my question. I really appreciate the time all of you put into writing the responses.

Than you, BillyV

Reply to
Billy V
[ ... ]

I've heard it described as "VPI paper" (Vapor Phase Inhibitor)

I've been told this too -- but not yet tried it.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I would support the heater/light bulb idea but use 2 light bulbs in case one blows.

John

Reply to
John Manders

If you go to:

search on "rust", you'll find several products like you describe.

I put camphor in my toolboxes when I had to put them in storage for a couple of years. No rust, but then again I don't know if they would have rusted without the camphor.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

A block or two of camphor in the tool chest will keep the rust down. A little paste wax when you clean the tools will help also.

Reply to
Beecrofter

That is good stuff and not easy to find any more. But that auction is closed so here is a current Buy It Now "auction" from the same seller:

Jack Erbes

I had my machine tools and precision tools box in storage in containers for four years, in a very damp environment. The machine tools had been covered in cosmoline and did fine if the covering didn't get disturbed, and my measuring tools, which are in a Gerstner, came through without any problems, and with no particular provisions to prevent rust. I'm of the opinion that wooden toolboxes deal with moisture exceedingly well.

I was not so lucky with some items that were stored in my Kennedy rollaway, however. In spite of the drawers being closed, some items rusted where heavy water condensation occurred. Of particular irritation was the matched set of Starrett V blocks. They are certainly still functional, but the rust spots are exceptionally irritating to me.

Camphor may prevent rust, but the smell is very offensive to me. I'd have to give extended thought and make the decision, live with the smell, or the rust.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

The problem with living close to the ocean is that wave action atomizes the salt water, which is then blown inland to settle on anything and everything. So the problem isn't simply condensation, but rather a continuous fog of salty water, creating an ideal "breeding" environment for rust. It will even affect items kept indoors in heated living areas. So in these cases, warming the tooling simply won't do enough to prevent rust. And I suspect VCI paper will also fall short. A barrier protection product like LPS-3 or Cosmoline will provide the most practical and effective solution, although you will likely always be plagued with rust near the ocean.

Reply to
DeepDiver

I would say *so*. Harold, those blocks are clearly ruined beyond repair, so your best bet would be to send them (postpaid) to the licensed "V-block disposal facility" listed below.

Starrett Disposal Facility

520 Highland Ave Peekskill NY 10566

You will of course receive a proper written confirmation of their arrival and disposition! We are all aware of your life-long battle against the scourge of rust, and deeply sympathize for your angst.

Jim

jim rozen

This will not be a good solution for tools that you use frequently, but for long-term storage, I think it would beat anything. A device called a "Foodsaver," which pulls a vacuum on a plastic bag, and seals it. It is primarily intended to extend the life of foods, but it is also effective at preventing silver from tarnishing, and I believe it would prevent rust indefinitely under the worst of conditions. I also use it to pull a vacuum on my photo developer in a partially full bottle, and if I stored open bottles of wine, I would use it for that. I am not connected with the company in any way.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Nice try, Jim :-)

I've stoned one of them and have used it, but that does little to sooth my anger. I need not mention how I feel about rust. I'm just thankful we built the shop before tackling the house, which is taking much longer to build. By the time we would have unloaded the containers, everything would have been ruined by humidity. What a lesson I've learned since moving from the desert!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos