Drill bits for starting holes?

I remember that in Russia, there were special drill bits to start holes. They had a thick shank and sharp (think 40 degrees) conical end. So they were very rigid and could start a hole precisely where it was positioned. No "walking". Then you'd switch to whatever drill bit was necessary to complete drilling.

It was useful for cases where you could not use a punch.

Are there such things in the US, and if so, what are they called?

Ignoramus5102

Those might be carbide PCB drills in standard 1/8" shank, various number sizes, and 82 degree cutting surface.

You might be talking about HSS with split point 82 ? degrees.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Center drill:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Reply to
Jim Sehr

Most likely a spotting drill?

Here's a picture:

That happens to be carbide, HSS is more common.

Reply to
George

Thanks, that's exactly what I am looking for.

Ignoramus5751

This type will still "walk" on you, unless work and tool are both in fixed position, or a center punch mark is used for starting.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

well, I have a drill press.

Ignoramus5751

oparr

HF was selling sets for $2.99 the other day. I added a set to my order just on general principles.

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love America

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

Ignoramus5102 wrote in news:cptool$gkp $ snipped-for-privacy@pita.alt.net:

MSC (mscdirect.com) stocks several brands of spotting drills in a 118 degree point (which of course matches the standard drill point angle). I have found these to work really well both for drilling on the drill press and mill and especially for the starting holes for hand held drilling in alkward places. There are also other point angles available.

Reply to
bob hoffman

Yes, but they list only 604 different sizes/types.

(Snarky Grin)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston