import welders

Hello group. After having no success finding a used, low cost (~$100) , 220V 1 phase, AC buzz box around my local area (S. FL) , I've (reluctantly)
began looking at some of the import welders.
I've noticed many of the imports appear to be the same machine being sold under different brands. Are there any real differences between these similar looking machines?
TIA for any comments. Art
note: if replying via email, remove the SPAAM and DOT from my email address.
Art wrote:

You are doing exactly what it takes to generate the perfect used buzzbox. It will magically appear in your area a week or two AFTER you buy import! I hang out with a bunch of people who say "don't quit five minutes before the miracle". I vote for PATIENCE. Or looking in a different way. Have you tried contacting local businesses or trade schools, looking for unwanted machines?
Anyway, I have zero experience with import welders so can't say.. GWE
Grant Erwin wrote:

Call some radio "tradeo" type programs, also. May have to call several days in a row. Word will get around by word of mouth that you're looking. Some lady will talk her husband into offering you the welder he seldom uses. :-)
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 06:58:29 -0800, Grant Erwin

hey... thats not a bad idea... buy an import, The Fates then popup a AC/DC 225 for $50, down my street, I then buy the 225 and sell import... LOL ah... but The Fates are smarter than that.

Thanks, this is a VERY good idea. There must be more than a dozen weld shops right nearby (security bars are real big down here ), and way more shops if I include the metro area.
Thanks to all those who have responded with comments.
Art

One more thing -- for many years now, BOTH the Lincoln and Miller buzzboxes have their main transformers wound with ALUMINUM not copper. Those who think just because they're made in the US they're heavy copper, it ain't so. - GWE
I pulled up the spec sheet for a typical imported 240 volt stick welder: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberD568
and for the standard Lincoln "Tombstone" welder http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e260.pdf
A few things to think about: The Licolon has an Open Circuit Voltage (OCV) of 79 volts versus 50 volts on the import. A high OCV is needed to start rods easily. A pro usually doesn't care much, a newbie will be quite frustrated by the import special.
The duty cycle on the Lincoln is 20% at the full rated 225 amps. They don't have a curve but I suspect 100amps (about right range for 1/8" 6013 rod) has a duty cycle of 80% or better. ie just weld away. The duty cycle on the import is 10% at 130 amps, wonder what it is at full output? 5%???? Duty cycles are rated in 10 minute periods, figure about 1 minute to burn a rod. 10% means weld one rod, wait 9 minutes.
The shipping weight on the import is 58 pounds, the Lincoln comes in 124 pounds, more than double. Copper and iron in the core makes up the difference.
Both of them will require you to purchase a helmet, the import does come with a "shield" that requires you to hold in in place but they are a pain to use.
Net: You get what you pay for. The import will do some jobs. It surely won't do the other jobs the Lincoln will.
Art wrote:

You nailed it! No free lunch with the cheap import. My old Miller Thunderbolt 225 has a 100% duty -cycle at 100A and about 80OCV. Billh

Personally, I got a big red Lincoln from the pawn shop for $50.
Harbor Freight at Atlantic & 441 will have your import.