metal chop saw?

I cut a bunch of 2" square tubing with it (.120" wall), and also a bunch of

2" flat stock (about 1/16" thick - cut vertically), and it did just fine.
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I was just searching Sears web for the "Twin Cutter" - the counter rotating metal cutting saw. I suppose they ran out or took them off the market.

That if available - might be a solution. No kickback and a hand held (lots of work maybe) cutoff tool. Maybe I went to the wrong web - went to sears not Craftsman.com...

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Yep - got one of them, too :) Nice saw, but not for a lot of repetitive work. Also, not good for anything but 90° cuts. If you try cutting a 45°, one blade will bite first, and yank the saw out of your hands.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Bob,

Thanks for the tip. I'll put a B&D "Industrial" saw on my Christmas wish list!

Vernon

Reply to
Vernon

Yep. I was talking about a wood miter saw. Didn't grok we were talking about a different animal.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Shaped charges? A pair on each side of the bundle?

Definitely just as fast, and probably a cleaner cut than detcord...

(Watched the Loizeaux brothers rig and drop enough buildings on Discovery Channel that I could probably do one myself if you weren't in a rush.... The fun ones to watch were done by others that DIDN'T drop as planned, and then they go back and dissect why.)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

True. I have one of these saws - a Makita - at work. And do NOT cut stainless steel with a blade designed for carbon steel, or you will be buying a new blade.

We keep the 'good' blades locked up and have seriously considered putting a keyed switch on the machine, due to people not bothering to swap out blades because 'it's just one cut and besides, it's not my machine....'

PDW

Reply to
Peter Wiley

Grant, I talked to the welder at our maintenance shop because he has both the DeWalt with the steel cutting blade and a heavy duty bandsaw. He said they both have good and bad points. He likes using the DeWalt on aluminum or on pieces that he needs a straight cut. The bad part is that it is loud cutting through metal and only one piece can be cut at a time. The bandsaw works great for stacking pieces and it is quieter, but the cuts are not usually as square as using the chop saw. Mike

Reply to
mj

Good info.

Tom Lawrence wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

If your Makita does the job for you, go with it. The neighbor who builds cars gives his saw a lot of hard use (2 x 4 frame tubes, etc and really leans on it, popping the 20A circuit breaker). Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I use a 14" chop saw and love it for square tubing and flat bar. The speed of a chop saw can't be beat.

Reply to
George F. Norwood Jr.

oxy/acetylene torch,

Have them cut it down at Puget Sound Salvage (or whatever their name is these days). Buy the steel from them and have them cut it there - fast and all the mess stays there !!

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

I see the Enron accountants are calculating horsepower now ..

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

Or someone from Dick Cheney's office...

Ignoramus10200

Actually..it was the guy who calculated the Clinton Surplus...

Gunner

Gunner Asch