millermatic210 reccomended chart -way off

has any of you guys that use a MM210 find that the reccomended heat/ wire speed settings printed inside the door are way off?

for mild steel, it seems way to low, example: fillet weld , 1/4 inch steel plate .035" solid wire , C25 ,

25Cfh gas flow , clean metal , new M25 gun....it calls for heat 4/48 wire speed. gives way to cold weld, I am running more like 6/ 65

the opposite on stainless. 1/8 " 304 plate using trimix gas 308L wire .030 calls for 5/70 setting ...thats crazy.... way too hot. I run more like 2 /35

also at the end of the weld bead releaseing the trigger and the wire stays glued to the metal piece , it should burn back......

is there something wrong with this thing or sound pretty normal ?

PS: shop voltage is right on the money 235V, #8 cord aprx 25'long

thanks

Reply to
acrobat-ants

I find Miller's chart to be consistenetly about 5% - 10% high on wire speed on our Millermatic 250X's. I just tell my students to compensate.

The trick with stainless is that the voltage needs to be higher than for comparable steel because the wire is a really bad conductor. Also you need an extremely short wire stickout.

That is wrong. There should be a burnback adjustment on that machine. Check your manual. If you can't find it just download the PDF version from Miller.

I can't diagnose it with seeing you weld.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler