Never an Ernie when I need one!

--Tried to duplicate your beautiful technique tig-brazing yesterday but the results were so bad I'm reluctant to post a photo! Every time I got the material hot enough to make the rod stick I wound up with cratering from what I assume was the lower-temp alloying metal exploding. Much white debris and no welding. Harrumph!

Reply to
steamer

Sounds like you were using the LF or 'regular' brazing rod. Get some bare Silicon Bronze rod if that's the case. Regular old brazing rod doesn't work well with TIG.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

I did some TIG brazing recently to have a filler material that would hold up to powdercoating temperatures. It worked pretty well on some 16 gauge 1" square tubing I built tables out of. I filled in some undercutting and a few other sins, ground everything flat and sanded it before sending to the powdercoat shop. It came back looking great!

With the Silicon Bronze rod, you can still overheat it, but it takes a good bit of heat. It's kind of cool the way the metal flows toward the heat, just like my old O/A brazing days.

Bob

Reply to
BobH

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0

That was Low-Fuming Bronze not Silicon Bronze. I thought we already had this talk. Am I going to have to come down there and slap the crap out of the counter guy at the welding supply store?

Reply to
stagesmith

That was Low-Fuming Bronze not Silicon Bronze. I thought we already had this talk. Am I going to have to come down there and slap the crap out of the counter guy at the welding supply store?

Sic 'em!

Reply to
johnnytorch

--I think I got the rod right but the brass pieces I was heating to lay it onto started doing the popping and erosion thing. Maybe too hot an arc? Maybe too sharp and diffuse a tip? Unsure..

Reply to
steamer

I just double checked, the filler I am using is marked Silicon Bronze and it says on the label that it is suitable for for TIG, Plasma or O/A brazing on steel. It is marked AWS 5.27.

Bob

Reply to
BobH