Welder Choice for Newbie?

Hello, all.

I'm looking for advice on getting my first welder.

Applications: Light fabrication, repairs and improvements to boat trailers and riding mowers and woodworking equipment, and just general-purpose work around the "farm," mainly with mild steel and cast iron.

I have only welded once or twice with an arc welder (as a teenager).

Several of my friends tell me to get a wire-feed MIG welder because (they say) it's easier for an amateur to get good results, and because (apparently) the power requirements of a wire-feed MIG welder aren't as intense as those of an arc welder.

However, I lean toward a regular arc welder because (as I understand things, and please correct me where I'm wrong):

  1. arc welders are cheaper to buy and feed supplies to than MIG wire feed welders of similar quality;
  2. arc welders are simpler to set up and take care of, if (somewhat) more difficult to use satisfactorily; and
  3. setting up an arc welder to do a particular job is probably going to be simpler than for a MIG wire-feed welder, if only because there are fewer variables.

In addition, power is not an issue for me, since I have 100A to my shop/barn and a 230V/50A slot on the panel just waiting for a welder to plug in.

I was considering purchasing a Hobart Stickmate AC/DC welder for about $420 in part because I've heard that DC arc welding gives smoother results than AC.

Do you more experienced welders think that such a welder would be a decent choice for a newbie welder like me?

What about the MIG wire feed versus arc welding question in general?

As I said, I don't know how to weld yet, but I do understand some of the fundamental theory from professional welder friends who have explained it, and I'm fairly mechanically inclined and decent with my hands (I do a lot of woodworking).

Thank you for any insights or advice.

Jonesy

Reply to
Jones

If you get a decent used welder, like a Miller XMT, you would be able to make and repair virtually anything made of steel, regardless of thickness.

Ignoramus15242

Cast iron is challenging to weld - I would forget about that for now.

Given that you want to weld mild steel, the next question is will every workpiece be at least 1/8" thick? Because if you do have to weld sheet metal you won't be happy with a stick welder, although there are some techniques you can use that will help.

If you buy a stick welder, you absolutely want DC. No question. AC-only machines are nearly impossible to resell. And for sure look locally for a used machine before you consider a shiny new one. I see nice - really nice - small Miller Thunderbolts (AC/DC) in the $100-150 range all the time where I live.

Actually, a small MIG welder (e.g. Lincoln SP175 or SP135) along with a small stick welder (e.g. Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC) is a pretty handy setup.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

My welders for occasional use:

Lincoln sp85 mig with gas .030 wire lincoln ac-225 arc grizzly chinese H8153 tig/arc

rods 1/8/, 3/32

xman

Reply to
xman

Thanks for the reply, Grant.

Would a MIG or wire-feed welder be more suitable than an arc welder for welds on material less than 1/8" do you think?

I'm still back-and-forth on the issue of flux-core wire-feed versus straight arc welder.

Thanks again.

Jonesy.

Reply to
Jones

Oh, absolutely a MIG welder is the way to go for sheet metal. You just turn it down and weld it up! :-)

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Jonesy

Stick welding is immune to the wind, rain, will cut through a fair amount of dirt, rust and contamination if you have to - in other words

- it's simply *the* process for site work. You can stick weld when you are having to move your arms with the electrode clamp side to side in relation to your body to compensate for being buffeted around by a gale. MIG will loose its shield and produce "cinders" welds (a cruddy foam of a bit of metal and a lot of oxide) with just a draft through a doorway.

Hobby / occasional use and stick - you don't have the ever racking-up cost of bottle rental for the Ar/CO2 you need for MIG welding. When a stick plant is doing nothing, it's costing nothing.

That said - MIG is the way to go for sheet metal, and you've got the advice that you want stick for outdoors and thicker and MIG for your sheet metal.

MIG and thicker stuff - it's the way to go for commercial workshop work - much faster and less work than stick --- but for someone who is improvising without guidance, the problem with MIG is that it is easy to make a "weld" which looks good but isn't fused. The deposited metal is just sitting on the parent plate surface. So it looks like a weld but isn't! No other common process has this problem - with stick and TIG, you can't produce a good-looking weld without already being the master of good welds.

Do you know this? - commercially everyone uses MIG in the workshop and stick out on site.

Rich Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

MIG, in my vieu.,may be a better choice being safer and cleaner operation.

Reply to
vpvinayk

quality of weld donot depend on movement of hands and so are better in MIG>

Reply to
vpvinayk

Go with mig, use fluxcore outdoors and is forgiving with rust and paint. If u need to weld sheet metal use solid wire and inert gas, use in a sheltered area . The best of both worlds, this will do exactly what u want to do.

Reply to
crswre

Rich,

Thanks for the information.

I forgot about the wind and such, and that is definitely an issue in my situation (a fairly drafty barn woodshop, and I would probably do the actual welding on the concrete front "stoop" of the barn or even out in the yard...and it's generally windy here).

I also didn't know that MIG could give a good-looking but faulty weld. That's good to know. I would probably say "Looks good from my house" and not realize it maybe WASN'T good.

One other thing: I hope I'm using the terminology correctly. When I've been saying "MIG" what I've MEANT is flux-core (with no bottled shielding gas) wire-feed welding. I hope I'm using the terminology clearly and correctly.

Thanks again,

Jonesy.

Reply to
Jones

Jonesy

Look at the American advice (I assume that's where you are?) right here on this forum & topic - use self-shield fluxcore much more (?) and have the relevant experience.

You've obviously read what I wrote - but that only applies to MIG with external gas shield.

Rich S

Reply to
Richard Smith