On carbon vs. stainless steel in grills

That is the term that is used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferromagnetic
Like in the beginning - iron is the magnetic material. Then other elements
were found.
The Canadian Nickel (I have a few still) are or were 8 or 12 sided Nickel metal pressings. IIRC, mine have a Beaver on the back - Queen on the front.
Martin
Bob La Londe wrote:

Canadian Nickels were or are made from Nickel. I used to use them in experiments that with heat the magnetism would halt with heat and return as it cooled. We could do a swing of sorts.
Buy some nickel wire or a nickel sample sheet. But then save a buck and look at Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel It is one of four 'ferromagnetic' elements.
Martin
Bob La Londe wrote:

It's something like that. The 300-series stainless steels are nonmagnetic, BUT that's by an 'as annealed' test; once you whack it with a hammer, the strained parts can magnetize.

A single sample cannot be considered representative.

I did some reading on the subject of stainless steel in grills: it seems that the cheap manufacturers use low grade and essentially inappropriate steels that they call "stainless", but which do rust in grills after the return period runs out.
Apparently, my grill is mostly made of proper stainless. It is not fully stainless, however, and there are iron screws in it that have rotted, as well as a few other minor pieces. This is a Sam's Club "Members Mark" grill.

I made my own cooker out of a Budweiser keg. They are stainless steel and I use charcoal and it gets wet when it rains can't say I notice any corrosion on anything but the Weber plated steel round thing you put the food on. The only welding related thing is attaching a rotisserie device and then modifying the rotisserie basket to fit in the keg.
Fran

I think cast iron has some qualities that make it better for cooking. From the experience I have had with mine the cast iron is going to last forever as long as I keep it properly seasoned and maintained. I have overheated mine a couple of times and this ruins the seasoning and it must be re-accomplished. I do this by oiling them up and baking them in the oven. I clean them using oven cleaner and a SS brush. Super heating them by turning up the gas ruins them although cleaning them in a self cleaning oven works well without ruining the seasoning provided they are removed from the oven as soon as the cycle is over and oiled.
Jimmie

Right, "stainless steel" is a broad and non technical term. It comes in many different alloys for different applications. A magnet isn't an accurate gage for determining the quality of a particular alloy for a particular application. I've installed hundreds of tons of stainless alloys that were magnetic (and incredibly expensive) that are now at the bottom of lakes. On intake structures for hydro plants. What's commonly called stainless is a large and somewhat complex field and you really can't boil it down into a small book.
JTMcC

Given the proximity of the rusting carbon steel, wouldn't that provide some measure of cathodic protection?