Oxy/Acy starter set $90 @ HF

Harbor Freight has a $130 or $135 oxy/acy set on sale for $90. Actually, I think there are two different models for same price.

Sale price good till 5/17.

mixing chamber, #0 cut tip, 3 braising tips, rosebud, 2 sets gauges, striker, hose (? 15'), goggles, case. Fairly complete for beginner set. I'm not sure if it was Campbell/Haus (? sp) or Chicago. Either way it is their own brand. Surely not Victor, etc. Don't know about parts interchange. Should be all right for someone that doesn't have any parts they have to match it to.

Anyone know any reason I shouldn't get one this weekend? I can't see spending $200 or $300 for a set no more than I expect to be using it. Hobbyist only.

Al

P.S. In case you missed the other msg. Northern Tool has a "variety pack" of welding rods with holder / 4 compartments for $13 something. All are 1/8" Might be a good set for a beginning welder that just wants to burn a few different rods. Seems there was 1# each of 6011,

6013, and 6018AC. They even tell you where to use each! ;-)

Hobart rods.

Reply to
Al Patrick
90180-3VGA

36983-4VGA

Both the above show up as $99.99 on the web.

Sale Paper (ending 5/17) shows 36983 at $89.99. There was another, smaller, sales paper, also ending 5/17, that had a similar kit but not sure if it was the same one or not.

=========

Al Patrick wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick

I bought a no name cheap kit to get by with and it is still doing all of my hand cutting. Ad that I bought it from claimed "Victor compatible" but it is not. I tried a rosebud from my Victor and even after you crank like crazy on the nut, it still turns inside as it is not tightening up. As far as cutting, it has cut up to 3/4" thick material. But it does get you by. Check around eBay and find you a real torch set as time and money allows. You will not regret the purchase of a quality tool.

Reply to
jessp

Oh, I know this one. They're used out in the shop :-)

Did I win something?

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Al, i bought the HF

$108.20, a 40cf acetylene tank for $83.35, an 80cf oxy tank for $173.20 (both tanks were a 99 year lease) and an acetylene adaptor (different hook up for the 40cf tank) for $10.09. Total cost= $374.84 (all prices with tax) I made the cart out of old bedframes and a couple old lawnmower wheels.
This setup works pretty well and i didn't expect the world for what i paid. For occational use, it's a great little set up. I agree with most people here, if you can get a nice used set in the classifieds, (victor, airco) get them, but i had a hard time finding a used set around here. Good luck, walt

Reply to
wallster

Thanks Walt & Jessp,

I'll look around a bit for a good used one. However, if I don't find one right away I'll probably get the HF one for $90. All the other items you mention can be used with this unit or with a better one if/when I upgrade so I won't be out that much and could probably find a sale for HF / Chicago unit.

Thanks again,

Al

=====================

wallster wrote: