Plasma, TIG, MMA unit questions

Hi there,

I'm new to the group and pretty new on welding. I MIG and gas at the moment and am wanting to buy a plasma cutter and a tig welder mainly for stainless steel work (hobby/metal sculpting) and came across a unit that does both.

To my novice eye its specs look pretty good, but apart from the obvious problem with buying a multipurpose unit (ie if it stops working then you cant do any of the functions) is there any other problems with it? I cant find many other companies doing multipurpose units so wondered if they were problematic.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Specs are:

Power voltage (V):AC220±15% Power factor:0.93 Rated input current(A):28(CUT) No-load loss(W):40 Output current (A):20-40(CUT) Housing Protection grade:IP21 Rated output volt.(V):120(CUT) Rated output current(A):40(CUT) Insulation grade :B Max thickness(mm):12(CUT) Duty cycle (%):60 Efficiency(%):85 Weight(kg):15 Dimensions(mm):430×205×300s Power Frequency:50/60Hz

TIG Rated Input Current(A):16 Output Current Range(A):15-160 Rated Output Voltage(V):17 Advising Gas Flux(Lmin):2-5 Arcing Way:FH

MMA Rated Input CurrentA):23 Output Current Range(A):15-150 Rated Output Voltage(V):26 Max. Wire Diameter:3.2

PLASMA Cutting Rated Input CurrentA):28 Output Current Range(A):20-40 Rated Output Voltage(V):120 Loophole Inner Diameter:1.2 Advising Air Pressure(Mpa):0.4 Max. Welding Thickness(mm): 1-12 Arcing Way:FH

Cheers

Gay

Reply to
brazen

Assuming you don't live near Shenzen Riland, what in the world do you do when it breaks?

Steve

brazen wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

;) No I dont. There is a guy here (NZ) importing it who will supply the consumables & is teeing up a repair co that will deal with that.

The chinese seem to be taking to producing lots of manufacturing goods now - I take it its not a brand you are familiar with?

Gay

Reply to
brazen

Well, now it sounds like a possibility. You are lots closer to them than I, I'm in the USA. Not that I'm up on all the new stuff, but I haven't seen large complex units like this out of China, just the little ones. They're probably coming this way.

Steve

brazen wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

Probably! I guess competition is good for the consumer. I think most of our stuff comes from Europe at the moment.

Is there anything there on the specs list that says "dont touch it with a barge pole" or "snap it up while you can" to you?? Its sellling here for around $1800 which is about $US1200 - a bit in the "too good to be true" dept.

Gay

Reply to
brazen

| Probably! I guess competition is good for the consumer. I think most of our | stuff comes from Europe at the moment. | | Is there anything there on the specs list that says "dont touch it with a | barge pole" or "snap it up while you can" to you?? Its sellling here for | around $1800 which is about $US1200 - a bit in the "too good to be true" | dept. | | Gay

I was in this store the other day that sold those little scooters and they had a couple Chinese TIG welders for like 680 bucks. HF, adjustable freq, ramp, gas timer, all that. The gal there was actually working next door and that particular store was unmanned, and it wasn't until she closed up and I was walking away that I noticed a brochure of sorts on it, so I'll have to go back and get the brochure sometime. Time...

Reply to
carl mciver

Not that I'm any expert, but the numbers sound pretty reasonable. It also has a decent duty cycle. The price is pretty good; I paid about $US1500 for a Hypertherm 600, which is a similarly sized plasma cutter only. If you're using in for a living, I'd worry about downtime, if for home that is often different.

Do try it out (and try out the competition), especially as a plasma cutter. Plasma cutters vary a lot in technology, how well they work on rusty or expanded metal, how big a kerf they leave. The other thing plasmas are good at is using a lot of tips and other pieces of the torch. The better units have much longer life torch components.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith