Question about chromium carbide overlay.

My company needs to get some wear parts covered with an overlay of chromium
carbide to provide additional wear resistance to abrasion. Some of the parts
are 1018 steel, and some of the parts are cast Ni-Resist type 1. Several
people have recommended Hobart FabTuf 960 for our application, but there is
a difference in opinion between several local "experts" as to whether there
needs to be a base layer of stainless "buttered" on to the part prior to the
application of the chromium carbide.
One camp says that without the stainless under layer there will be problems
with the "natural" cracking of the chromium carbide also causing the base
metal to crack.
The other camp says that the stainless base layer is just used by shops to
cut costs because the stainless is cheaper and easier to apply than the
chromium carbide, and that it is not necessary from an adhesion or cracking
standpoint.
Any opinions?
ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance for any replies!
Keith Stelter
Reply to
Keith Stelter