question about welding rods

Ok, I am posting another question, it is about welder's flash and eye protection. See: Welders flash Pedro/Peter

Reply to
PVazquez

You should cover yourself anyways, no matter what rod or method, Tig, Mig, or Arc. The UV emitted by the arc is far more intense than the sun, and can cause skin cancer.

Yes, it is uncomfortable when it is hot, but it is better than being burned by the light.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Real men don't use protective clothing when welding. I see it all the time. Welding in a tee shirt and shortie gloves.

Steve

PS. "Real Men" usually die young. Either from skin cancer caused by overexposure to UV rays, or something stupid that could have been avoided by using proper safety precautions.

Reply to
SteveB

What bugs me is that, if you watch the motorcycle and car building TV shows that are popular these days, the workers wear inadequate protective gear on camera, giving the uninitiated the idea that UV from welding arcs is harmless. I wish the shows would at least put up a disclaimer explaining that the workers are only tacking things together and so their exposure to UV is brief compared to when they're running actual beads. So much for "Reality TV."

P.S. Not all of those shows are like that. "Monster Garage" shows the host, Jesse James, welding in adequate protective gear most times. Kudos to them.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

explaining

exposure

Like ol' Roy on "American Hot Rod". I don't think I've ever seen him with any kind of welding lenses on when he's tacking with MIG, or holding a part while someone else welds..

Reply to
Rick

Ya.. I love my Gatorz sunglasses. Lifetime warranty on the frames, good lenses, nice wrap, though not quite as dark as my Oakleys were.

No, I didn't pay the $20 extra to have the "OCC" logo :)

They ain't safety glasses, and they don't even go under my hood. I put real goggles under the hood.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Reply to
PVazquez

What uses a real woman who knows to weld?

Reply to
PVazquez