Re-building thrust bearing surface of tranmission

A friend of mine brought over an old cast iron Ford transmission. This is an old tranny that has the bellhousing and case cast together. The thrust surface where the cluster gear rides has seen years of use and is worn down. It takes a babbit thrust washer between the cluster gear and the thrust surface and it needs to be built back up and re-machined.

The diameter of the thrust surface is about 2.5" and has a center bore of I thing around .75"

It probably needs to be built up about .010" or a little more. The endplay for acceptable is anywhere from .001 to .015. I have a 300 amp tig machine and a large set of oxy-acetelyne welding equipment as well as a 250 amp mig.

I would like some suggestions on building up this thrust surface for re-machining.

I could use either bare brazing rods and flux or I have a large amount of aluminum bronze tig rod that I could use to tig braze-weld the surface and bring it back up.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Sierevello

Or machine it _down_ a bit, open up the hole, and put in a shoulder washer?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Reply to
duane_mm

Reply to
duane_mm

Reply to
duane_mm

Steve, many years ago when I was a teenager I used to hang out at a little garage and the old mechanic could fix almost anything. I had an old Ford transmission that the cluster gear wore a grove in the rear of the case that would let the gear move back and forth causing all kinds of shifting problems. He fixed the case after I took all the gears out. He heated up the case in his old coal furnace and then brazed up the rear of the case till it was slightly higher then the surrounding surface. He let it cool slowly and then ground and filed the repair till it was level. I put the gears back in and put it back in the car and it still worked fine when I sold it years later. .......Duane

Reply to
duane_mm