Recommendations on gas welding set

I've decided that I've been a good enough boy this year to buy myself a new toy. We use an OA torch in class to weld, braze, and do localized heating. It seems a natural addition to my shop. My needs are a little different than class, so I don't think I need that type of setup. But what should I get?? Here's what I'm thinking.

First, I already have propane for the forge, so I want to stay with oxy-propane. Also, I've got a TIG setup - no foot control, yet, but I'm working on it. I can use that for any fancy welding, letting me stick with propane. So what I would use the torch for is:

1) Cutting. I'd like to do clean, curved, cuts, like leaves, petals, ... in sheet from 10g down to 16g, and then other stuff maybe up to 1". I don't see myself cutting bigger stuff very often and would probably borrow or pay someone for that. So can torches do nice cuts on 16g? I know - get a plasma cutter. But I haven't been *that* good a boy.

2) Localized heating for bending, forming, etc. Maybe up to 1" square, but mostly in the 1/4" - 1/2" range.

3) Brazing. Same sizes as above.

I think I would be better off with a smaller, lighter, setup than the normal welding kit. I've seen writeups on the Henrob, but that's a little expensive. How about the Versa-torch? Any other ideas?

Thanks, and have a very merry Christmas.

-Marc

Reply to
Marc Godbout

Buy a Victor Journeyman and it will do anything that you ever ask it to do........

Eddie

Reply to
xtremely fast

hi marc, ive just bought another victor journeyman deluxe kit from a guy off ebay (indiana oxygen company) complete, new in the box for less than $400. the cheapest i found the same kit local was $585. see

he was great to deal with, he shipped it next day (i ordered after 2pm) and it arrived 3 days later.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

I've seen a couple recommendations for the Journeyman. But I've also seen quite a few Victor Super-Range II's for about $200 less. What do you get for the extra $200 in the Journeyman? Will the Super-Range II be capable enough for this weekend warrior?

Thanks to all for the replies so far.

-Marc

Reply to
Marc Godbout