Rose Bud Tip For O/A or Propane Wand

In the near future I will be needing to heat and form some metal/stainless steel and copper projects and I need some advise.

I have a O/A set up but I only run a small B tank like the plumbers use and that limits me to a number 2 Rose Bud Tip if what the local welding shops calculations are correct for my Victor FB J100 C torch. Apparently it has something to do with the volume of gas a tank holds compared to the size of the rose bud tip.

As far as heat and fuel gas/oxygen per BTU would I be better off chosing a propane fueled heating wand? I'm looking for the most cost efficient way of the doing the job.

Thanks in advance

Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo

I just use my cutting torch, that is without the "oxygen booster" engaged! Lane

Reply to
lane

If you need lots of cheap BTU's, use a big propane weedburner. Things like prehating a large casting to the usual 600 or so degrees to allow welding without as musch worry about cracks in cast iron. If what you are doing requires red heat to bend or similar, you will need at least a propane torch with O2. To get concentrated heat and high temp, you are limited to Oxy-Act with a rosebud. And you will be limited by the size of the Acet tank. You cannot withdraw more than 1/7 of the tank per hour or you take the chance of pulling the acetone filler out with it.

So the big questi> In the near future I will be needing to heat and form some metal/stainless

Reply to
Roy J

Go Propane Oxygen. Much cheaper and quite effective.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler