sheet welding

Any body tried welding sheet steel with lpg oxy using oxy acetylene torches? (May be bigger tip?)

Reply to
F Murtz

We tried it and were unsuccessful. Just as the parent metal started to melt the torch would blow out, with a bang. We could braze but not weld.

Cheers,

Bruce (bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce In Bangkok

The only acceptable fuel gas for welding steel is acetylene. Any of the LP gases will introduce excess hydrogen into the weld pool, which will cause hydrogen embrittlement.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

The structure of the flame is also completely wrong for the job.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Try a cutting torch with a LP gas tip. The center of the tip is recessed to prevent too much air being drawn into the mixture.

Engineman

Reply to
engineman

I'm sure it could be done with someone with a lot of patience and just the right equipment. I prefer a MIG, and when the proper heat is decided, just a series of spot welds works great. Have made washer catchment pans, bird baths, lots of things. Tack, tack, tack, made easier with an autodark where you let it cool to a certain color, then hit it again. Really looks like TIG when you're done, and brings a lot of compliments and inquiries.

Not great to long distances because of warpage. Maybe better if properly clamped.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB