small stuff

I want to weld some thin Inconel tube and sheet, about 0.02" (0.5mm) thick. I'd also like to be able to do welds in very confined spaces.

Not having the zillion dollars for a commercial micro-tig or micro-mig setup, I thought I'd build my own. I have good electronics skills, but I know very little about welding - done a bit of stick, and some brazing, that's all.

What values of voltage, current and wire should be used for something this size? I'd like the setup to be useable for welding up to 0.05" thick sheet/tube, and down to 0.01" or so (1.2mm - 0.25mm).

Mig or tig? Both?

Constant current and constant voltage are both quite easy to do in something of this low power, HF is quite easy too, and fancy polarity reversing setups aren't hard either. What's worth having?

Also, can I use Monel wire as filler on Inconel, as it's easier to obtain then Inconel wire?

ta,

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Don't know much about electrical stuff. But TIG is defiantly the process to use, and monel filler will not work. As a starting point use 1 amp per .001" of material thickness. You shouldn't have any problems obtaining filler for the Inconel.

Richard

Reply to
AMW

This is a micro plasma welder for auction on e-bay.

Reply to
Ipeak

I used one of those a year or so ago. Kinda nifty though mighty fiddley for somone used to stomping on the pedal and getting 200 amps out the end of the torch. Strong reading glasses or inserts are necessary as its really fine welding zone is tough to keep track off when you are as tired and worn out as me

This would make a great rig for the OP.

I was using my buds to weld nicad battery packs together via the tabs

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

I looked. (???) Why would you need or want water cooling on a torch with a max of 15 Amps from the welder? Something about plasma? Curious.

Reply to
xray

The reason water cooling is required for a 15 amp plasma welder is that a pilot arc is continuously maintained between the tungsten electrode and the copper orifice tip, and the torch and it's components are very small.

Reply to
Ipeak