Put wirefeeder on stick welder

I have two welders: A Century 250 Mig and a Lincoln Idealarc 300/300 stick/Tig welder.

My son is used to production Mig welders - big Miller units. The century ain't got the guts to weld all day long fast and furious on thick steel.

Anyway, is there any reason you can't just buy a wire feeder and put on the Lincoln Welder? Its got up to 300 amps DC and comes with a solenoid valve to turn gas on when you start welding (from the Tig).

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Grant Erwin

The stick/TIG machine is a CC (constant current) power source. MIG requires a CV (contant voltage) power source. Normal wire feeders won't work correctly on a CC power source.

There are a couple of controls which are available that automatically vary wire speed to try to achieve a CV welding characteristic when hooked to a CC power source. Miller makes the WC115A control for their 30A spoolgun (the pair will run you about $1400 new). ReadyWelder also makes a spoolgun with the control built in (about $495).

But both of these approaches require you to change your welding technique a bit due to the varying wire speed, but they do work. Personally, I'd just consider buying a better CV power source.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

You have 2 options.

A Readywelder spoolgun, or a Suitcase wirefeeder.

The Readywelder is he simplest and cheapest solution, but if you plan on welding a lot with it, yo miht want to just buy a suitcase feeder.

Go to Lincoln's website and look up the LN25 wirefeeder.

Either way you go, it is not exactly like a BIG MIG welder sicne yo are using a CC power source, it means the exact wire stickout from your gun drastically effects the arc characteristics.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I own a big miller mig, but just for the heck of it I made my own machine just to see if I could do it... I hooked it up to an old Sears arc welder... It really surprised me... Its different but it works just fine...

Reply to
Kevin Beitz

What you want is a wire feeder that will operate on constant current. The Suitcase wire feeder units were an answer to portables on trucks that wanted to do heavy wire feed but only has stick welding machines( constant current). Most of these units do not like running wire under .045. I have used various makes and have had no complaints. Randy

My son is used to production Mig welders - big Miller units. The century ain't got the guts to weld all day long fast and furious on thick steel.

Anyway, is there any reason you can't just buy a wire feeder and put on the Lincoln Welder? Its got up to 300 amps DC and comes with a solenoid valve to turn gas on when you start welding (from the Tig).

Karl

Reply to
R. Zimmerman