can this small TIG machine run hardwire?

TIG is constant current. MIG is constant voltage. So, I don't think so.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

can this small TIG machine run hardwire? (spool-gun)

Thanks

Reply to
RHGrafix

Someone told me that there are variable feed rate, voltage sensing wire spool guns. Lincoln LN-25 is such a wire feeder, according to him. That guy tried to sell me an arc welder by trying to say that it was a tig welder, so he possibly exaggerated things a little.

http://www.weld>

Reply to
Ignoramus27736

I think tche answer is " maybe ". Mig in short circuit transfer is constant voltage. And TIG is constant current. But MIG is pretty much constant current in Spray Mode. Think about it. Constant stream of ionized particles.

When stick welding you are using spray mode. Unless you are a really bad welder, you are not doing short circuit transfer.

So there is no reason you can't do wire feed welding with a constant current supply. I have a friend ( Sorry Steve, but I really do have some friends ) who said he used his stick welder coupled to his 110 volt MIG welder when the metal was too thick for his little 110 volt welder. I did not think it would work and thought he was pulling my leg. But tried it, and it is possible. It is even possible to use a AC arc welder with a non-voltage sensing wire feed, but I think DC would be a lot better.

Yes this sounds like a bunch of horse pucky, but you can try this at home. Caution if the wire feed speed is not fast enough, you might lose a contact tip or two. So start with a fairly high wire speed.

Now whether the Harbor Freight welder will supply enough current, I don't know.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Look at their cold wire feeders that work with tig torches to increase production.

I've never used one!!!

Reply to
Taunt

Reply to
wayne mak

Dennis at Arco Welding Repair has a Hobart box that I think will allow you to interface a tig with a wire feeder. It was sitting on the floor last time I was in there. $25 takes it. Might want to call him

Gunner

Gunner