Tank certification date

I've forgotten what the time period for O2 tank certs is. Anyone got a link?

Reply to
RoyJ

I tank it is 5 years.

jusme

Reply to
RoyJ

My supplier told me a few days ago it was ten years for a 75/25. May be different for O2. I thought it was five because I used to SCUBA and that is what those were.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The aluminum 80 cu ft. SCUBA tanks are 3000 psi. IIRC, ALL SCUBA were 5 years, and a lot were in the 1800 - 2000 psi range. I think the reason they were checked more often was internal corrosion caused by their environment. Although, if you followed proper procedure, you never let the tank go completely empty, hence no water infiltration. But then, lots of pumping systems were marginal and water was put in when the tank was filled.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'm not absolutely certain , but I think it's 10 years for O2 tanks . Just had two in for recert because they were out , last tested early 90's .

Reply to
Snag

On my owner tanks, I just exchange them. Never have to pay for certs. Take one in, take one out. Sometimes not as pretty as the one I brung, but the gas seems to work the same.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yep, tank exchange is certainly convenient, with no hydro testing and no waits for fills.

Reply to
Pete C.

That works really well when your supplier stocks the size tanks you use . I have a pair of 40 cf tanks , which are the perfect size for my uses . My supplier doesn't stock that size ... nor do any others locally , which is how I ended up renting an 80 cf cylinder for two years . That 80 cf of O2 cost me over a hundred bucks , by the time I add in the cost of tank rental . The 80 cf (both tanks) I just got cost me about half that , including the recert .

Reply to
Snag

I own an 80cf Argon. I moved a few years back so I was dealing with a new branch when I finally drained the tank and drove over (not far) to swap it. As it turned out they didn't have any 80cf tanks on hand that day and it would be the next day when they would have one. They gave me a 20cf tank they had at no charge so I could continue on my project and had an 80cf for me the next day as promised.

Reply to
Pete C.

My supplier did a similar favor . Sent me home with a 20 cf tank because the first 40 I sent in got lost in the system . Guess where I send folks when they ask where to buy welding supplies ?

Reply to
Snag

"Snag" wrote

It's amazing what getting to know the counter guys and the accounting girls will get you when you need something. AND, if you drop a dozen donuts off, they will remember you for a long time. Just say, "This is for that last favor you did me."

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

In my case, it was the first time they had ever seen me. I eventually bought my plasma cutter there and go there periodically for various supplies.

Reply to
Pete C.

That trick works at the Harley shop too . Hot chocolate mix for Christmas , and a sixpack or two in the summer . In fact , I'd guess it will work almost anywhere you deal . People remember ...

Reply to
Snag