TIG collet body / torch head problem

Hi, I have a WeldCraft #26 200A flex head torch. I always install the collet hand snug but this morning it unscrewed about one turn and then locked up. I did plenty of TIGing at 190A yesterday and now the equipment is about 40F. Into the vise and with vise grips I removed it, sure, but I also stripped the threads on both the collet body and the torch head. I have no idea how it got so tight. I remember now that even brand new the finish on the torch head threads seemed a little rough, almost like they were corroded a bit. But I've installed/removed a collet body on this torch a dozen times since.

I got to thinking why they would make these parts out of copper and not brass and I guess they're going for max conductivity, but jeez copper is so soft. Some of my collet bodies have brass for the threaded end, others have copper. Is the brass better? (These are all gas lens parts.)

My main question is how should I avoid this in the future? How about lubricating the threads with a little dry graphite powder? I used to completely break down my torch before storing it and now I'm probably going to start leaving the collet body and cup on the head instead.

--zeb

(P.S I got to disect the torch head. I thought the flex part might be made of soft copper tube but it's actually a helix of 3/16 thick copper band. About 5 turns. Since the helix has a continual gap the gas is contained only by the rubber outer covering of the torch head!)

Reply to
zeb7k

You could have just chased out the threads and saved the torch head. The thread used is a 3/8" x 32 thread. I had to hunt down a tap for it once.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

The stuff to use would be the purple anti-corrosion goo they sell at car parts shops to protect battery terminals.

Or the dielectric thermal paste they sell at electronics shops and computer parts stores for mounting chips.

I have never needed the stuff in about 25 years of TIG.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

As to your question my best answer is upon removing the ceramic cup make sure the gas lens/collet holder is still tightly screwed into the body. Logic would seem the current shouldn't go through the threads. though I have never fried threads it is common to find the gas lens loose as the ceramic cup is bottoming against a white washer thing. Without researching exactly which torch you have as I have hw 20 or hw 18 or something like that there are bigger and still bigger torches for higher amperages.

Fran

Reply to
fran...123