TIG gas regulator scaling question

My Argon bottle regulator is marked in pounds per hour, how do I convert this into litres per timescale, as most info I have uses the volume per timescale measurement for gas flow setting? Thanks.

Reply to
Chris

I had a similar problem recently, wondering why my gastank was getting empty so quickly. Hint: a CFH is NOT L/min... (divide CFH by 2 to get to L/min (or multiply by .47 for more accuracy). That, and the 40l tank (instead of the earlier 10l one) should make for much longer welding fun.

I have yet another problem when reading my flow meter: what is the correct flow, is it where the bottom of the steel ball is, the middle, or the top? The diameter of this ball spans quite a bit on the scale of my flowmeter...

Peter, The Netherlands.

Reply to
peter_dingemans

on my flow meter it is printed on the glass "read at top of the ball" how ever , to even more confuse the customer , each number has 3 marking bottom middle and top , like this

--- -- 15 ---

-- 10 ---

-- 5 ---

which is correct ????

Reply to
acrobat ants

Oh no...

I just had a GOOD look at my flowmeter; there's a symbol on it, a ball with 2 arrows pointing at the middle of the ball...

I'll go and hide in shame for a while.

To answer acrobat ants: could it be that the number that's next to a horizontal stripe is the value for THAT stripe, while the stripes between the numbers are 'in between' values that, for lack of space, don't have a number printed near them? That would be my interpretation, but after my previous goof, well, I think I've just discredited myself :)

Peter, The Netherlands.

Reply to
peter_dingemans

Could those extra markings be for other gases?

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

That was my take on the extra lines, too, but the numbers don't "break" equally, so I too wonder if it's really what is intended.

Should I be concerned about using a bit too much gas flow? Wastage apart? I am suffering with discolored welds that almost look "smokey" on stainless welds. Not bright and shiny like the pros achieve. My MIG welder fair hisses the gas out of the nozzle, this TIG has a barely audible flow, yet the flow meter shows a good reading, so I have to assume the gas is going somewhere, maybe not all out of the gun, perhaps?

Reply to
Chris

I've got exactly the same when welding stainless steel (AISI 304). Yellowy/smoky HAZ.

Wonder if it's a sign of too low gas setting?

I really should find me a good TIG welding course. If I had only been 3 weeks earlier with my subscription, I wouldn't have to wait another year (till august) for the next course to begin :(

Peter, The Netherlands.

Reply to
peter_dingemans

Tripple for the same number - or three numbers.

It looks like the major items - 5, 10, 15 have outside marks Then mid points are marked - for 2.5, (5), 7.5, (10,) 12.5, (15,) 17.5.

I think you have to think inside the box on this one !

When gas flow is ZERO - where is the zero mark on the 'follow the bouncing ball'! My guess - I have a gage - zero is at the middle - where the gas just goes by.

But look for the zero - or scale down from given data. Just turn off the gas.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

acrobat ants wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

no, the glass cylinder has 3 coulumn printed vertically. Argon helium and something else. the glass can be turned , since I am using ARgon I turned the glass so it is facing in the same direction as the pressure gauge. but as others mentioned , the mark at the midle of the number is for

5, 10 , and 15 , and the marking under and above is 2.5 , 7.5 and such

However it is clearly marked "read at top of ball"

Reply to
acrobat ants

when it is zero, or the gas is turned off the ball falls way down in the tube , it can not be seen.

BTW: it is a Victor flow meter.

thanks

Reply to
acrobat ants