Trash dump gloat

Howdy folks,

Over the Christmas/New Year's holiday we had a staggering number of days of perfect weather.

We took that opportunity to clean up our farm on a busy Texas highway, on which we aspire to launch one or more retail businesses in the near future.

We hired my son's best friend and his dad to help us. The dad has an old Farmall B tractor and the son has a Kubota garden tractor.

Between them and our two sons we were able to work a stunning transformation of the property, which over about 8 years of neglect, had grown up in weeds that concealed no end of twisted fencing, chicken wire, and other debris.

On January 3 the boys returned to school. That left me to unload a trailer all by my lonesome, at the county dump.

And what a load it was! If I hadn't had a small bolt cutter and some metal shears I'd be unloading it yet.

Anyway, on to the gloat. Soon after I got there a guy backed a trailer in beside me. On the back of the trailer was a Sears riding lawnmower.

I asked: Are you gonna throw that away?

To which he answered: "Yes. I let the gas go bad in the tank. It won't start. And in any event, my granddaughter doesn't ride it anymore. She's outgrown it and is now into 4 wheelers. So I'm throwing it away".

I asked him if I could have it and he readily agreed. For his trouble I helped him unload his trailer.

After an eternity, I was able to get my trailer unloaded. Called my wife down with my tool truck. We winched the tractor onto the trailer and took it home.

It is a Sears "Craftsman II" 44" riding mower with a 16HP Briggs & Stratton engine. It did not have the mower deck. Apparently the guy removed it just to turn it into a toy for his granddaughter.

To my surprise and delight, our next door neighbor just HAPPENED to have a 44" mowing deck that actually FITS this tractor. He offered it to us for free. So I offered him a free potbelly pig.

A free mower. A free mower deck. And a free potbelly pig. Man, is this a great country, or whut???

Apparently, the problem with the mower is the vacuum activated fuel pump. I've located one and will pick it up tomorrow. The engine starts. It just won't continue to run.

The neighbor's mower deck appears to be the exact critter we need. That alone is a blinking miracle because there are lots of mower decks out there.

The deck will require one little piece fabbed and welded.

That's my "welding" content.

I'm gonna go live at the dump. Gonna try to intercept the guy's granddaughter's 4 wheeler when she graduates to Land Cruisers.

Best holiday wishes to all.

Vernon

Reply to
Vernon

It's sad. At the dumps in our city, there are signs saying, "NO SALVAGE ALLOWED". Meaning you can't pick up anything. I see all sorts of good things all the time. Bikes. Trikes. Things, that with a little work, or no work, could go to some kid who doesn't have one. But, you can't pick them up.

When I was a kid, we used to have to haul our stuff to the dump. At the dump was a resident squatter who had made a small dwelling out of cast off materials. He would go through the "stuff" and pull out whatever he thought would sell. Good "stuff". We would take a load to the dump, and bring stuff back.............. but only "good" stuff. AND, if we found it first, we didn't have to pay anything for it.

People talk about waste and the environment and renewable resources, and yet don't really do much about it except to tie themselves to trees.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Well done Vernon, My best haul so far is a 8,000 USD video projector from a skip (US Dumpster) - the bulb was blown. That, and the 18" Zeiss telescope mirror in another skip at the same site.

And I thought this was just a British insanity ?

Try hooking up with your local "FreeCycle" groups - post an email to a message board saying "I want to get rid of ......." and 99 times out of a hundred someone will say "I'll have it" - they come and pick it up, and you don't go near the dump. Not only that, you can post "Does anyone have a ..... they want to get rid of" and again, often people do.

Got my wife's birthday present that way ;-) (she collects old sewing machines)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I just picked up a DVD player on freecycle. Ran a cleaning disk on it, and it went from not loading a disk to apearing to work. I'll know more after watching a couple movies.

Bob

Reply to
Bob