Tungsten sizing

Is there any real disadvantage to running a tungsten that is too big for the job, other than arc control? Say I'm welding some 1/16 aluminum and I am using a 1/8 tungsten. Any real issues?

Thanks

Jamie Arnold (W)

A large tungsten will reduce your arc control at lower amperages. Of course if you are using a pointed tungsten on an AC inverter the difference becomes minor.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I was using a sharp point, AC inverter at around 200 Hz. It seems that even at 80-90 amps, the tungsten does not stay pointed, but balls up a bit. Is this normal?

Thanks

Jamie

Reply to
James Arnold

Yes the tip of the tungsten will still ball up a little.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler