Voltage change

Can a stepdown transformer be used as a stepup transformer? I have a 440 single phase welder that I would like to run on 220, and I have a transformer that inputs 440 and outputs 220. Can I just wire it backwards?

thanks, Terry

Reply to
Terry Kangas

Yes, if it can handle the power.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar

Generally, yes. There may be some losses but yes..it generally will work.

Be sure the transformer is capable of maintaining the KVA rating though...remember that the current at 220 is twice that of the current at 440.

Often times the 440 side is rated at lets say...30 amps with the 220 side being rated at 60 out. So the wiring may..may be smaller in diameter on the 440 side. So if you reverse it to step up and try to draw 50 amps on the 440 side (really really really big welder), you may toast it. Though Id not worry too much about it unless you have a smallish transformer to begin with.

I have a nice 40 KVA step transformer available if anyone in California needs one. The price will be right

Gunner

Gunner

The technical answer is yes. The practical answer is maybe.

The Transformer that will be driving the welder, at a minimum, has to be able to handle the possible current draw of the welder. In other words, if your welder is rated at 30 amps on the input, the step-up transformer needs to be able to output 30 amps. Because this is a one to two step-up, the input current to the step-up transformer (in this example) needs to be 60 amps (at 220volts)

Reply to
Nirodac