"weld conditioning" with vibrations

every now and again i get mailings from companies claiming to do "weld conditioning" with vibration. i think the idea is to induce some amount (at some frequency) of vibration into the work while welding. this, i imagine, is supposed to stress relieve and/or take dissolved gasses out of the weld/weld area.

thoughts? anyone have experience with or seen this? is it as effective as they say it is?

here is a link, for example:

-tony

Reply to
tony

Vibratory stress relieving does work. I talked to a fellow who used one on dredge pump repairs. They used it while rebuilding the housings. He said it significantly reduced distortion as well as stress relieving. A supervisor in a shipyard I talked to about it used it on a large crane turntable for a log barge. It worked for them. I have no personal experience with it but I expect the results you get would depend on some degree of expertise. When you preheat and post heat you have a specific temperature that is your goal. How do you measure the effectiveness of the stress relief short of removing sample coupons? Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

I worked on a rocket launch pad that was made with 2" and 3" plate steel. I forget the exact type of steel since the job was several years ago. The launch pad was built in Brunswick Georgia and was going to be moved to to a barge and floated to Cape Canaveral. On the lifting attachment points there was particular care taken to check for stress cracks and after all welding was completed a special machine was bolted to the lift points. Then the vibrations started. Wow what a noise even with ear plugs. Also the vibrations went all over the structure and up through our feet. I was told the strong vibrations would remove the stress that built up during welding. As for using the vibrations during welding that would be totally impossible. It would literally of shaken the molten metal right out of the puddle.

Reply to
TAX REBEL

Vibratory stress relief? It reminded me of something wicked... But I won't go there...

VT

Reply to
Vernon Tuck

Hey I still can access that pic of you on that steed and I have photoshop. I could take you there. :') ... Or you could just deny like Jug Ears.

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

The level of vibration varies according to the job. In the cases I have asked about the vibration was applied while welding was going on. I would expect that if you stress relieved after everything is cold a larger amount of energy would have to be expended. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman