Welding 4130 plate?

Hi. I will be Tig welding 3 4130 plates 2 X 1/8 X 10 together in a U shape. I'm wondering what process for tacking and welding to minimize warping. The beads will be 10inches long what kind of fixture setup should be used.

Anyone have photos of their welding bench with all their fixtures mounted to it? Is there any fixtures that every welder should have?

Reply to
Rod MI

One of the most useful fixtures that I have (actually it is a clamp) is a C clamp cut in half. It allows me to weld it to my bench so I can clamp anywhere. My clamp is cast iron so I preheated it, added a few "primer beads" of weld around it and now it welds easily wherever I stick it. Sorta like tinning the tip of a soldering iron.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Your trough shaped piece is sure to warp if you weld full ten inch beads. Do you really need to do all that welding? Often something like you describe only needs to be stitched together. The weld joint should be open corner to minimize amount of welding. Tack the assembly together using three small half inch long beads on each corner. Tack weld the piece down to a steel plate with the legs of the trough down on the plate. I would use 3/8th plate or heavier. If you are doing two of them tack the units together to form a tube. Weld the assembly up using welds no more than three inches long. Two inch may be better. Jump around alternating sides and ends. Let the assembly cool then break off the plate. You will not need to weld inside the trough. The trough will still be warped to some extent. It will spring off the plate when you grind or break the tack welds. You could flame shrink the edges to straighten it. Your choice of 4130 for such a simple shape seems odd to me. Still if that is what is required.... You are not going to have much luck straightening it in a press and flame shrinking will affect the strength defeating the purpose of using the alloy. Randy

"Rod MI" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Thanks Everyone. Yes I need 4130 steel. I don't really think I have to weld the full 10 inches but it's mostly cosmetic. I now it will worp but I wont to minimize it. Thanks

Reply to
Rod MI

If all you need is to stitch then do something like one inch every three and distortion will be minimal as long as you do the strongbacking as I suggested. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman