Welding a plate on the end of a pipe

I'm wondering if there are any tricks to arc welding a flat plate on the bottom of a pipe. I've got a bit better at it by doing potrions at a time,
but I finish with a pitted weld and have to angle grind it and do more and more. In an engineering shop would the pipe be on rollers? What is the hardest thing to weld?? Thanks John
A boiler tube that you cant get to the back side, is the hardest thing I weld. In that case we use mirrors to see the backside