Welding of Ti-6Al-4V to 9310 steel - urgently needed advise

I am welding Ti-6Al-4V alloy to 9310 steel. Should I use welding under argon? If so what kind of road I could use? Anyone have experience with Ti to 9310 welding? Where I can find standards for this procedure, or recommendations? Any recommendations, and suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks.

Victoria snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Reply to
Victoria Fink

You can't. Titanium can not be usefully welded to anything other than titanium. There are solders used in aerospace that can accomplish this.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Reply to
Victoria Fink

A little googling around , and it seems that gold solders work on titanium. Not sure what flux they are using. Contact some eye-glass frame makers.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

You can. I've a length of scrap aerospace piping here (two foot long, six inches diameter) which is Ti tube with stainless end flanges on it. I never realised what it was, until I noticed that the ends were magnetic.

Looks just like a normal TIG weld (i.e. not e-beam or something esoteric) , but I've no idea how it was done.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Could you use diffusion bonding or spray transfer?

Lots of people think it is impossible to weld aluminum to steel, but both of those techniques have been used plenty. All of the "aluminized" exhaust pipes you read about are steel with aluminum bonded to the outside. Brake drums for certain airplanes are steel liners diffusion bonded to aluminum heat sinks.

My guess is the joint is not all that strong.

Reply to
frank