Welding photography

Has anyone tried to photograph welding, either video or still? Would one just set it up to photograph through a regular hood?
Steve

I tried for a while using a variety of cameras. I found the biggest problem with video or using a digital still camera, was that the cameras were too damn smart. They keep trying to make pictures of children at a picnic, so when you throw a welding arc at them they just don't know what to do.
The solution is to go to a film camera and shoot through a welding hood, or use a really dumb digital camera with no auto anything. I suspect if you go to the high end of digital you can get there too.
I was unable to turn off all the auto features on my cameras. Auto-focus and auto-light-balancing were the worst culprits.
Auto-focus tries to focus on the welding lens not the weld, like trying to shoot a picture through a glass window. The camera will try to focus on the window.
Auto-light-balance thinks it is staring at the sun and goes haywire.
The industrial quality welding cameras, used for robotic welding cels, are very expensive. They call them "vision systems".
I tried one of our underwater cameras from school, and it was dumb enough to work through a welding hood, but unfortunately it has a permanent wide-angle infinite-focus lens so it can't see well that close.
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 17:42:59 -0700, Ernie Leimkuhler

Ebay is filled with with Canon FTBs and other similar older SLRs that can be rigged by simply putting a welding lens across the front of the lens. Perhaps a Cokin Filter holder screwed to the front of the lens will give you a nice flat place to tape on the filter.
Those cameras cost at most...$20 plus shipping
Here are a few examples.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Canon-FTb-QL-w-Canon-FD-50mm-f1-8-w-Case-/26063409586
http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-FTb-QL-w-Rokinon-135mm-f2-8-CPC-80-200mm-f4-len-/180532404135
If you dont like Canon...Pentax/Mamiya/Konica/Minolta is also good...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Asahi-Pentax-Spotmatic-II-50mm-f1-4-/280534811990 http://cgi.ebay.com/Mamiya-NC1000-35mm-SLR-Camera-/320563524594 http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-CAMERA-35MM-MAMIYA-SEKOR-/300447351313 http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-KONICA-AUTOREFLEX-TC-35mm-FILM-CAMERA-W-LENS-/180532895035 http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-X-370S-SLR-35mm-Camera-50mm-Lens-And-Flash-/300447088387 http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-srT100-35mm-Film-Camera-/250666681084
Etc etc etc.
Shoot as either prints or slide, have the film development place (most Walmarts, CNC pharmacies etc etc) scan rather than print and they will hand you a CD for less than $20 with a bunch of your computer ready pictures..A Bunch..... and all you need for film is Black and White, which you can certainly develope yourself very easily for little money.
Hell..Ebay has slide and negative scanners for damned damned little money....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ION-Slides-2-PC-Photo-Negative-Slide-Scanner-PC-/190419521725
http://cgi.ebay.com/Epson-3170-Scanner-35mm-2-1-4-Negative-holders-VG-/110558955609
http://cgi.ebay.com/PANDIGITAL-Photolink-Photo-Slide-and-Negative-Converter-/280535346981 NICE!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-ScanJet-4670-Scanner-w-negative-slide-attachment-/200495035053 Super!!
And so forth.
Its not rocket science, just a bit of common sense.
Gunner, one time very advanced "hobby" photographer

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Canon-FTb-QL-w-Canon-FD-50mm-f1-8-w-Case-/26063409586
http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-FTb-QL-w-Rokinon-135mm-f2-8-CPC-80-200mm-f4-len-/180532404135
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-KONICA-AUTOREFLEX-TC-35mm-FILM-CAMERA-W-LENS-/180532895035
http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-X-370S-SLR-35mm-Camera-50mm-Lens-And-Flash-/300447088387
http://cgi.ebay.com/ION-Slides-2-PC-Photo-Negative-Slide-Scanner-PC-/190419521725
http://cgi.ebay.com/Epson-3170-Scanner-35mm-2-1-4-Negative-holders-VG-/110558955609
http://cgi.ebay.com/PANDIGITAL-Photolink-Photo-Slide-and-Negative-Converter-/280535346981
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-ScanJet-4670-Scanner-w-negative-slide-attachment-/200495035053
I used to be into black and white "model" photography. Had a Beseler 45 MCRX with a motorized carriage and six or eight Carl Zeiss lenses. It was a lot of fun. The photography wasn't bad either.
Steve
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 23:37:07 -0700, "Steve B"

That was a nice enlarger. Ive got a pair of Omega 4x5 enlargers out back. One with lens, one without. Both work well. Both have been collecting dust for humm..15-18 yrs.
Want em?
Gunner

My Dad's darkroom sink next to his enlarger spent the last ten years or so holding PCs and scanners instead of developer, stop, and fixer trays. In the summer it was one of the coolest rooms in the house (back basement corner). --Glenn Lyford
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:07:06 -0700 (PDT), Glenn Lyford

Id be happy to pass both of these very very nice enlargers on to someone for a couple 2 liter bottles of Diet Mt Dew. Chances are slim that Ill ever get back into a darkroom and Id rather like to see these go to a good home.
Omegha D models IRRC.
Gunner

Good luck. With digital photography and photoediting getting to what it is today, no one wants to take the time for chemical development any more.
Steve
Not to mention I can't buy the button batteries that work the meter in my Nikormat, Pentax, and Rollie film cameras. Makes them way more work to use.

What batteries? Ive yet to need an old cell I couldnt find.
Gunner
Some of the Mercury batteries are scarce or missing. There are some replacements now. I had a large one in a light meter. Sekonic (sp) but that one was stolen with my Gossen. SOB's got my professional set of Minolta's and 9 lenses. Now I have Nikon's and Sony's.
The Minolta's were toted around and took official stills for AFRS - known as AFRTS now - adding TV in the 'later years'. Armed Forces Radio Service.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /