welders doing radiography

Hi everyone

Have we folk here who do / have done welding and do radiography of welds?

I'm trying to find my way along improving my welding and also learning radiography of welds.

Off very little starting base - took some of my repair welds to be radiographed in a foundry - got training in radiography. Shooting radiographs and radiographic interpretation.

Some early results here:

don't laugh too much about the weld in the pic. or its radiograph with infeasible levels of porosity - it was a first attempt in my shed, and the single underlying correction needed is proper fluidity in the weld pool)

Would be glad of guidance.

Next step must be to get experience - start at an entry level with an "assistant" role and work my way up.

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

"Richard Smith" wrote: (clip) I'm trying to find my way along improving my welding and also learning

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think you will progress faster if you have an instructor watch you weld, and make suggestions for improvement while you are working. He can be talking to you while you are controlling the puddle, and after the weld is finished, so you get immediate feedback. He can also demonstrate for you what may be hard to put into words.

I think relying on an X-ray image to help you improve your technique leaves too much gap between doing it and trying again to do it better. My 2 cents.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

True.

Stuck to know anyone in the area who can help. Anyone in Sheffield, UK area who'd be willing to help someone who's trying?

Rich S

Reply to
Richard Smith