Welding tiny beads on a tinier wire ?

Hi,

Does anybody have an idea just how I could weld a metal bead on a metal wire ?

The wire has 0.25 mm in diameter, the bead is about 4 mg or 0.8 mm in diameter.

The challenge is to center the bead on the wire - if the bead is not exactly centered, it will fall down once I heat the wire.

Usually, the bead material will have a much lower melting point than the wire, so in theory, I can use some alumina plate to hold the wire in place whilst melting the bead on it. For some reason, the bead never centers.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

Robert

Reply to
Lord Moder

Crimp the bead (or swage it) on first, so it won't move?

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

What metal?

Reply to
tomcas

Sounds like an ideal task for a CD welder, normally used for welding thermocouple wires together. A Google search should throw up a number of options, or maybe DIY. I have a couple of brochures from companies that make such welders if you get stuck. I would fetch them right now, but they are hidden in a box somewhere.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox