What about inverter motors?

Considering a new band saw with an inverter motor. Is this a very successful way to adjust the speed of a saw?

Docient

Very much so.

In case you're not aware, though, this saw requires a belt change between metal (slow) and wood (fast).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Single phase to 3 phase motor it says. Internal controls for two speed ranges. Metal range and wood range. Then speeds within.

Good idea. Just can't wait to get wood, Aluminum and steel all mixed up and ignited!

I think a good cleaning would be done between metals and between wood and metal.

Mart> Considering a new band saw with an inverter motor. Is this a very successful

Martin H. Eastburn

I don't mind the belt change, I'm just wondering how much torque the motor will put out at the slower speeds. Using mechanical reduction the torque goes up relative to speed reduction. Do you gain any torque as you slow an inverter motor?

Reply to
Docient

Shouldn't be a problem unless you are searing sheet metal. Normal cutting on thicker steel shouldn't have much heat build up.

Reply to
Docient

No torque goes down. And the motor will tend to get hot if you put a load on it. I'd suggest you ask other owners if they are satisfied with it.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

No, it stays the same. Torque is a function of current & a VFD will put out the same max current at lower speeds.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Bob,

Of course you're right. I was thinking in terms of horsepower.

Sorry,

Al

Reply to
Big Al

| > No, it stays the same. Torque is a function of current & a VFD will put | > out the same max current at lower speeds. | >

| > Bob | > -- | > Nota for President | | Bob, | | Of course you're right. I was thinking in terms of horsepower. | | Sorry, | | Al | |

Thanks to all.

I knew that was the case with some DC drives I have owned, but I don't have any experience with an inverter motor. That being the case, I don't think I would want one on a band saw.

Reply to
Docient