What Mini Mill/Lathe ?

ok folks, i've begun my likings for metal fab (and Al 6061). as a hobby welder and fabricator, i recently had to build (in process of) a special jig for cutting a narrow and shallow dado groove into a Bilstein truck shock. i'm even making a crude jig for spinning the shock just like round stock in a lathe.

i currently have limited tools on the fab side, but i make do. here's a pic of my custom tool holder

the "top plate" will be welded to the top of the mount and the whole assembly we be able to slide horizontally left-right and then locked into place with the two cap screws. the Nikcole tool will slip snugly into the channel of the mount and then secured with the two set screws.

i'm now looking for a mini mill/lathe. any suggestions for around the $400 budget?

thanks for any info.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Not many options. You may have to do like I did, help the Chinese build their arsenal to shoot back at us! Harbor Freight.

Play with that -1VGA by substituting 0, 2, 3, etc. for the 1. You *may* find it has been on sale and if you provide the correct number they

*may* still honor it. I've heard of them doing that. I did NOT make that search. List is $500

=====================

Kryptoknight wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick

At least you understand how it works. I look at buying chinese goods (oxymoron) as sniping at our own troops. I won't do it.

Reply to
Paul Calman

can you suggest a US made one that is around $500??

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Reply to
Al Patrick

no, but there are surplus machine sales stores. I'd take my chances with a used machine of top quality than bondo-ed castings from china.

Reply to
Paul Calman

You won't get much for $400..Chinese import. There are varying degrees of quality in these. Most if not all are made in the same factory in China. I did a lot of research on these last year and found out that the Homier mini is about as good as it gets without spending $600 and up.

There are several Yahoo-group lists supporting the mini lathe guys.

Google for mini lathe reviews and you'll find a ton of good info. Some guys have even done reviews of the entire setup and modifying process.

Jamie Arnold (W)

You can try looking for something like an old 9" Southbend, but you'll find that typically what you get is an old piece of junk that needs the ways rebuilt and all the bearings redone and still spend $500 or more without tooling.

Jamie Arnold (W)