Where did the cheap Hibachi's go?

I'm sure most over 40 yr olds remember these cheap cast iron charcoal
grills. Then came the gas grill onslaught but we all know a steak (or
anything else) tastes better when grilled over glowing hickory coals. And
has anyone really been able to toast a marshmallow properly over a gas
burner? Seriously now.
So I have decided that I must construct such a device. I've been playing
with idea of some "I" beam scraps or a simple "boiler plate" burner with a
coal grate in the bottom and some damper vents cut through the sides.
Grilles should be easy to find or in the spirit of I made that constructed
from expanded steel. Simple wooden handles to finish it off.
What have I missed or should I consider before I get to work? Yeah I may
have too much time on my hands but if I don't use the stick welder soon SHE
may decide it needs to go to a new home.
And furthermore... what happened to the 2" thick chuck steaks of days gone
by that had a bone in them? Did beef critter anatomy change that much in 30
years???
As always thanks for any and all input.
Reply to
Krazy Old Man
I still see those cast iron babies in Hardware stores. Might try places like K-mart - yea place like that with a mixture of shoppers that go from fishing to just a few shrimp.
Have you looked in the isles at Lowe's ? I wonder.
But your idea isn't bad - think on the rack - having multiple height. Ours had 4 levels 1/2" step between and the handled grate stuck between fork fingers and the weight held it within.
Either move food up/down or coals down/up. Have an easy end - rotating ? and a hand scraper to reach down the troth and pull out the ashes. Something like a hoe. Wood or metal wire wrap handle -
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufk> I'm sure most over 40 yr olds remember these cheap cast iron charcoal grills.
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
Would $26 be cheap enough? Amazon.com has some that look pretty decent. Sears.com has the same one for a few dollars more. It's 19 pounds so shipping might be significant.
(Think that's half what I paid for one 15 years ago...)
Reply to
Larry Fishel
I think the message is "Can I make something to justify keeping the Stick Welder in my collection of Grown Mens Toys"
If the grill is too easy to find or too cheap, there might not be sufficent justification for keeping the means to make one.
Reply to
Ann Brownlow
"Ann Brownlow" wrote: (clip) If the grill is too easy to find or too cheap, there might not be sufficent justification for keeping the means to make one. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Why make something when you can buy it fairly cheaply? Because you can.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
Cheap maybe ? if one buys cheap. Long lasting. Satisfaction. Pride. Use something you have - allowing it to give back and not go to junk.
I buy some metal that is 18" x 44" - costs me $240 up from $128 4 years ago! If I have some scrap - I want to use it if I can. I only can get $.08/pound since it is exotic. Otherwise $.07/pound. Sheet is 112 pounds.
Scrap man takes me to the post on that stuff. So if I can I make something. I cut circles and large parts out for my save pile.
That is mostly the reason - for me - getting my money back out of a purchase.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufk> "Ann Brownlow" wrote: (clip) If the grill is too easy to find or too cheap,
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn